Don't know if i can join the corps...

Cutsu

Hey everyone, I'm worried that i will be unable to enlist in the marines.... Three years ago i was on the wrestling team at my school and i was goofing off with some friends. I attempted to do a move called the "Fireman's Carry" on my brother who weighed about 30-35 more pounds than i did...

While lifting him onto my shoulders i heard a pop come from my back, I went to a physical therapist about a week later and he told me i had twisted a vertebrae in my back. He adjusted it for me but about two years later I started having pains in my back close to the area that had been injured.

I went to a chiropractor and he took some exrays, then he told me that i had a broken neck as well as a screwed up back. He said my spinal cord was crooked and a big peice of my neck bone had been chipped off.

Over the course of a year he did adjustments to me and i went through physical therapy. I fealt great after that but every now and then i have back spasms and my neck hurts alot. I am unable to do squats in my strength training class and my neck muscles are really weak...

So i guess my question is... would i still be able to join the Corps??

Thanks for reading my story... I know its kinda long.

If that's going to be your problem, ask yourself just how much fun you'll have in the Corps. So even if you were able to join, what do you think you could do?

Not sure what MOS I want right now... but i was thinking that i'd be MP or Recon. However, if that didn't work out and nothing else interests me then I suppose I could go where they need me... just worried that i won't even be able to enlist with the physical problems that I have

Sounds like it needs to be something cleared with MEPS. Have you talked to a recruiter yet? That will be your best bet. I'd say recon is a big no. MP would be alright, as long as you stick to trolling around bases for moving violations, or stand at the gate and check ID's. I wouldn't get too excited about being part of CID or anything.

The Recon stuff is not easy. I would say go ahead and scrap that idea. You would be miserable from the pain.

You have the potential of carrying a full infantry load (100 pounds or more counting body armor.)

I have went days without sleep. If you have a injury the lack of sleep will really make your life hell. When I am out training I am lucky to get 4 hours of sleep, normally its around 2 or 3. I suffered a pretty nasty knee injury a few years back and never fully recovered from it. After 4 or 5 days out in the field I am in pretty serious pain. I would look into the MP thing if I were you but any military training is uncomfortable.

Goodluck

Dude, if your body is falling apart, you'll NOT be Recon.
Even the regular infantry stuff isn't exactly a walk in the park like Big_Z said. Forget it dude. Really, forget it.
In that condition, if you survive Marine boot camp, that would be a collossal achievement all on its own.

If your this screwed up now, your body would probably give out in Boot. No doubt you'd give out in ITB let alone making it thru Recon Course.

Your body will not hold up for infantry duty plain and simple.

If you want to serve you should look at positions less stressful to your body.

//KJ.

I just went through the enlistment process for the Marines, like you would have such a hard time getting through a MEPs station with that shopping list of back and neck problems, man that sucks if your passionate about it, but look at it, your young now, what about your late 20s?Or 30s? Like what about when you have to hump a pack on the Crucible?I know I'm going to dread that and my back is fine... :(

Talk to your recruiter Man, other that, idk what else to tell you, man that sucks?

Back