Dokdo LPD: Can it be exported to Turkey?

--

April 16th, 2009  
Lunatik

Topic: Dokdo LPD: Can it be exported to Turkey?

Turkish MoD is currently in Seoul to attend a signature ceremony for a Korean-Turkish joint electronic warfare training field project. I'm under the impression that Turkey's LPD bid will also come to the table. TN is in need of a capable LPD with a large flight deck mainly for force projection in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea.

Turkey and Korea have excellent relations and they cooperate -at a grand scale- in defense. KAI won Turkey's basic trainer tender, Turkey's Firtina howitzer is based on a similar Korean design and now our national tank (dubbed Altay) project is receiving major tech/know-how transfer from ROTEM. Turkey on the other hand has sold flight simulators and electronics to Korea.

A lot of Turkish defense analysts favor and promote the Dokdo class for Turkey's LPD requirements. I, as a mere interested citizen, also want to see the Dokdo with the TN.

What do you all think of such a possibility? Can it be constructed in Turkey? If Turkey DOES choose Dokdo, I think the KDX type destroyers can serve as a model for Turkey's upcoming TF-2000 class.

A couple decades down the road, Korea and Turkey may have the same navy, lol.
April 18th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Who knows. From all accounts that I know of the Dokdo class ship is doing just fine and there hasn't been any major issues. It should prove to be a good buy as South Korea has one of the best ship building capabilities in the world.
April 18th, 2009  
tomtom22

That's good info above.
--
September 13th, 2009  
McLarenF1LM

Perhaps VTOL F-35s can bu stationed on a dokdo with a few modifies.
Its certainly the most likely to be chosen.