Does History Repeat Itself? - Page 2

--

October 16th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

History has a way of repeating itself

Compare the Philippines campaign of the Spanish-American War to the current Iraq conflict and you will find a bunch of similarities.
October 18th, 2004  
BigBert96

History definately repeats itself. Always has, always will.
October 19th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The more things change, the more they stay they same.

You bet it's a cycle. Everything works in a cycle... this is why in so many cultures the circle is such an important shape. A circle, or a thing in revolution. It's silly to think that the idea of the round earth was invented relatively recently in the West. Most established civilizations realized this fact before Jesus stepped on the earth.
--
October 20th, 2004  
DAVID C

I would have to say yes in some parts such as war i mean people will always want power so no matter what there will be fighting..... but as for other parts of history i really couldent tell you .... i will have to check into it
October 28th, 2004  
egoz

yes it does, i just remembered discussing this not too long ago with my CT prof and we came up with so many example that apparently i can't think of a single one.
October 28th, 2004  
CavScout

No it doesn't....humans do and then we write history to suit our tastes.
October 31st, 2004  
Kick_in_the_eye

Every situation is new, even if there are similarities. Therefor every new situation will follow an inevitable path of arguments...

"Don't do this - remember what happened to X!"
"Yes, but you cannot compare X to Y, because this differs"
"No it doesn't!"
"Yes it does!"
October 31st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Humanity has proven incapable of remaining at peace, yet in the midst of war, it is peace that they crave.

In very general terms, history does repeat itself. In specific terms, no it does not.
November 1st, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

There is the Lincoln/Kennedy connection, The 20 years Factor which means The US President Bush has to Almost die or die in office (maybe the pretzel incident counts) and the russian 100 years ( my grand daddy always said that by 2015 the commies will be back)