Does any one know this weapon?

phoenix80

Banned
145jg2fk.jpg
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9308/145jg2fk.jpg

Judging by the orange neck tie its a formal evening warfare weapon. :)

I am quite sure after double checking that the missile in question is the Russian Air-to-air missile the AA-8 "Aphid".

Last edited:
But the cone in the first picture seems different. I am not sure whether this is due to the speed etc. And with the last picture I miss the double tailfin. But it does resemble the sattar-1, so you might be right Phoenix. But why fire it with a Phantom and not a contemporary plane?

It doesn't look much like anything in the Russian arsenal (at least nothing the Iranians are supposed to have), but I still can't get it to look like any of the Sattar family. There's a vague resemblance to the Sattar-1, but the configuration is still off.

Where'd you get the original picture?

Ted said:
But the cone in the first picture seems different. I am not sure whether this is due to the speed etc. And with the last picture I miss the double tailfin. But it does resemble the sattar-1, so you might be right Phoenix. But why fire it with a Phantom and not a contemporary plane?

if you notice the insignia on the side of the aircraft, you will notice that its an IRIAF (Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force) plane. they have updated their aircraft to current standards. also read the other posts......DUH
:stupid:

Ted said:
Because Iran doesn't have many contemporary planes. Germany still uses them too.

The spike thing in the first pic suggests that it may be anti-armor.

bulldogg said:
Judging by the orange neck tie its a formal evening warfare weapon. :)

I am quite sure after double checking that the missile in question is the Russian Air-to-air missile the AA-8 "Aphid".
Haha, yes it really does look like a tie.

So using your logic about the "spike thing" makes the missile anti-armour, the Hellfire missile and the Maverick would be what anti-play dough?

As for the mix up on the missile I was going off this picture courtesy of Global Security...

aa-7_aa8_dnsn8902581-s.jpg

moving0target said:
It doesn't look much like anything in the Russian arsenal (at least nothing the Iranians are supposed to have), but I still can't get it to look like any of the Sattar family. There's a vague resemblance to the Sattar-1, but the configuration is still off.

Where'd you get the original picture?

Searching the net

bulldogg said:
So using your logic about the "spike thing" makes the missile anti-armour, the Hellfire missile and the Maverick would be what anti-play dough?

As for the mix up on the missile I was going off this picture courtesy of Global Security...

By my logic a spike makes it anti-armor but not having a spake doesn't not make it anti-armor. It could be anti-armored-dough.

The penetration rods are not usually mounted on the front but in the warhead to avoid damage before the propulsion charge can detonate after impact. The spike is either an antenna for radar guidance mode or a barometric arming device. Just my experience and two cents worth since I'm not familiar with the missile.

Missileer said:
The penetration rods are not usually mounted on the front but in the warhead to avoid damage before the propulsion charge can detonate after impact. The spike is either an antenna for radar guidance mode or a barometric arming device. Just my experience and two cents worth since I'm not familiar with the missile.

Good Point!

I'd guess it is the latter one!

Damn that thing is huge!! It looks like it takes the whole wing to hold it! Air to whatever it is missile, it looks like air-to-send your-ass-to-kingdom-come missile.

ASTRALdragon said:
Air to whatever it is missile, it looks like air-to-send your-ass-to-kingdom-come missile.
:stupid: Yeah, no kidding, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that thing. As the saying goes, "That'll leave a mark."

Back