Digital camouflage: CADPAT, MARPAT and other versions

--

December 13th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Topic: Digital camouflage: CADPAT, MARPAT and other versions

Disscussion about digital camouflage. Opinions and experiments about digital camo and discussion about it's real advantages to traditional camo, or is digital only a matter of fashion? I attached some example pictures about different camos.

CADPAT

MARPAT woodland

MARPAT desert

Finnish digital camo m/05, similar to CADPAT and "fishing season" seems to be opened (boonie hat). SA-kuva

http://tietokannat.mil.fi/harma04/in...d=80&width=640

Digital snow suit m/05, SA-kuva
December 13th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I like the CADPAT. But the MARPAT may be better... after all when you hit the dirt, there should be some brown on your cammies.
December 13th, 2004  
Pete031

MARPAT is probably more effective, because what the U.S. did was take CADPAT and improve it... Still the CADPAT is pretty effective itself
--
December 13th, 2004  
c/Commander

MARPAT looks like its more effective...certainly more so than the old woodlands and 3-color deserts.
December 14th, 2004  
Kinection

I'd say it would depend on where you are. Marpat looks like it would be more effective in areas that have more "angular" vegetation like pine forests. Something like cadpat or the german flecktarn look like it would be better in areas with "rounder" vegetation.
December 14th, 2004  
AFSteliga

CADPAT TW is very effective in dense wood, but the MARPAT woodland would be better for lighter wood and brush.

Hmm....you seem to have left out the CADPAT AR (Arid Region) It's just the same CADPAT layout, but with the 3 shades of brown.
December 14th, 2004  
egoz

i think some pictures of soldiers in the field wearing the old BDU's vs the new BDU's would give a better perspective on what is more effective.

http://www.hyperstealth.com/camo/faq/
someone supplied that link before in a different thread when digi camo was brought up. it had a lot of good information.
December 14th, 2004  
Trevor

Any CADPAT in itself is effective, because it scatters your vision and you can't focus at close range. I personally like CADPAT better than MARPAT. My DCO is ordering all our senior NCOs CADPAT for the new year.
December 14th, 2004  
egoz

well according to the website i listed the digital patterns are only effective within 100 yards or less. farther than that the colors don't blend the same.
December 14th, 2004  
Trevor

The main idea for CADPAT is close-range combat anyways.