May 25th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1217
Punishment never made a bad man good,
Good and dead.

Seriously though, I have worked with ex-cons who are fully rehabilitated and great law-abiding citizens following their prison terms, so, unless you want to get into the whole "fundamental nature of man" argument, I believe that it is quite justifiable to say that punishment has made "bad" men good.

I think he was refering to DP though.
May 25th, 2004  
Sooners1

I have been thinkin about htis subject quite a bit. I guess I agree to a apoint, yse proof is the answer. My only problem with life in prison is that it is like goin to a country club anymore. A lot of criminals want to go back because it is to hard outside to get along. Then the taxpayers a payin for them to play basketball and have a comfortable life. Make prisons actually prisons, make it to where nobod actually wants to be there. I think there is nothin wrong witha little healthy fear. Then I would not agree with the death penalty. I dont think that bein happy and/or comfortable are a punishment.
May 25th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners1
I have been thinkin about htis subject quite a bit. I guess I agree to a apoint, yse proof is the answer. My only problem with life in prison is that it is like goin to a country club anymore. A lot of criminals want to go back because it is to hard outside to get along. Then the taxpayers a payin for them to play basketball and have a comfortable life. Make prisons actually prisons, make it to where nobod actually wants to be there. I think there is nothin wrong witha little healthy fear. Then I would not agree with the death penalty. I dont think that bein happy and/or comfortable are a punishment.
I fully agree with this: make jails harder.
--
Boots
May 25th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
I guess you must have missed the "good and dead" part.
May 26th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Quote:
I guess you must have missed the "good and dead" part.
No i saw that one

Was refering to this:

"Seriously though, I have worked with ex-cons who are fully rehabilitated and great law-abiding citizens following their prison terms, so, unless you want to get into the whole "fundamental nature of man" argument, I believe that it is quite justifiable to say that punishment has made "bad" men good." Im guessin those ex cons arnt dead, killed? I presume they did their punnishment and then was released.
May 26th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Im guessin those ex cons arnt dead, killed? I presume they did their punnishment and then was released.
Roger, I don't understand what you're getting at, though.
July 10th, 2004  
PFCMiller

Topic: i hate

i hate it when some guy get's life in prison with out the possablity of the death penlty and then they live off the tax payers,so i say fry them
August 28th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Topic: Re: i hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller69
i hate it when some guy get's life in prison with out the possablity of the death penlty and then they live off the tax payers,so i say fry them
actually, I believe that with the legal costs, it costs more to kill an inmate than to keep one in jail for life. There are human rights groups that appeal for inmates even though the inmate has stated he (or the rare she) just wants to die. Remember, legal proceedings never run cheap. I did some research and the actual cost of executing 1 inmate from beginging to end runs about $2-3 million. The cost of keeping an inmate in jail for life runs about $1 million.

Then you have the fact that DNA evidence is setting innocent people free. No one should EVER support a system that has executes innocent people.

Lasty, I will borrow this point from the Britons. "Why does a nation that proclaims to be dedicated to the principal of human rights, continue the barbaric practice of legally executing its own citizens?"

Before anyone starts to call me a peace loving hippie, hear this. When I was a bit younger and much more ignorant, I was in full support of the death penalty. Then I saw a couple interviews with people who had been freed from death row by DNA evidence. Those men were marked to die but had a second chance. How many more people have been wrongfully marked to die and never had a chance to prove it?
August 28th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

I do not belive In the death penalty unless It is for treason or mass murder.
August 29th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

Quote:
I believe that with the legal costs, it costs more to kill an inmate than to keep one in jail for life. There are human rights groups that appeal for inmates even though the inmate has stated he (or the rare she) just wants to die. Remember, legal proceedings never run cheap. I did some research and the actual cost of executing 1 inmate from beginging to end runs about $2-3 million. The cost of keeping an inmate in jail for life runs about $1 million.

Well out of that 3 million around 2.8/3 of that is spent on legal council and there suit they were to court, Scott Peterson murdered his Wife and unborn Child, Yet instead of executing him the gov't is using the money of the American public to pay for his 2 million dollar legal council and $5000 Armani suit.

yes it does cost alot of money to fry people, so why not go back to the firing squad, a bullet is much cheaper then electricity, or we could start hanging people again, a rope is really cheap and can be recycled for future uses, that way we please the hippies in a small way to, see everybodys happy.