Deadliest Warrior

--

April 21st, 2010  
brinktk

Topic: Deadliest Warrior

Does anyone watch the show Deadliest Warrior on spike TV.

Last night they pitted the Spartan Vs. the Samarai with the Spartan coming out on top barely.

Later in the episode they pitted the Soviet Spetznaz against the IRA with a decisive victory for the Soviets.

The first episode of the second season featured US SWAT against the German GSG-9. Swat barely came out on top, which I think was quite an upset, I figured GSG-9 would clean the clock of the SWAT.
April 21st, 2010  
-Morgan-

I've seen a couple of episodes.
They put Army SF against Soviet Spetznaz.
I think the Soviets won. I'm not sure though
April 21st, 2010  
A Can of Man

Another BS vs show.
--
April 21st, 2010  
brinktk

I think they should do less analysis on the weapons per say and more on the tactics used and the things that made these forces throughout history unique. What gave these guys the edge during their time at the top, and how would that translate to their competitor?

It is cool to see the tests of the medieval/ancient weapons though.
April 21st, 2010  
RMNP_CCC

I think "Deadliest Warrior" perpetuates low-quality discussions on military and security forums and elsewhere, but dang it, whenever it's on I have to watch it. Who doesn't like to see ballistics-gel heads being shredded by shotgun fire? I can't be the only one!
April 21st, 2010  
Atasas

Most laughable to consider such "show" as anything to do with real warriors or armies
April 22nd, 2010  
Stealthy!

I only watched a bit of the Spetsnaz vs Green Berets one

I doubt that it is a very accurate show, but I love how they tested the different grenades and shotguns. From watching that episode I realised how bloody dangerous a Semi-Automatic shotgun [In this case a Saiga 12] could be in CQB
April 22nd, 2010  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMNP_CCC
Who doesn't like to see ballistics-gel heads being shredded by shotgun fire? I can't be the only one!

That's exactly what I'm talking about...It's just plain cool to see heads explode from various weapons systems.

It's just a show, and there's no need for people to get all indignant about the matter. At the very least, you get to see cool gun, sword, club, whatever tests and then say DAMN! Wouldn't want to be hit by one of those.
April 22nd, 2010  
Stealthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
That's exactly what I'm talking about...It's just plain cool to see heads explode from various weapons systems.

It's just a show, and there's no need for people to get all indignant about the matter. At the very least, you get to see cool gun, sword, club, whatever tests and then say DAMN! Wouldn't want to be hit by one of those.
I think many people got pretty angry when they said the Spetsnaz were better than the Green Berets, and thats why people get a bit worked up about it
April 22nd, 2010  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy!
I think many people got pretty angry when they said the Spetsnaz were better than the Green Berets, and thats why people get a bit worked up about it
Yeah, I suppose that's true. I didn't agree with that one either, but hey, it's just a show, and I'll give it to the Spetsnaz that were on that show, they seemed like real pros. Wasn't sure about the whole role around on the ground and shoot stuff, but if it works, who am I to judge.

Plus, the SF guys lost that for themselves. They got cocky on the pistol range and their accuracy went right out the window. Hubris anyone? And an e-tool...REALLY, granted, I WOULD NOT want to be hit by one, but it's not a weapon, it's not designed as a weapon, and it should not have been used as a weapon.

Show or no show, they're both pretty damn good in my book, and if I've learned anything since I've been in the Army it's been that on any given day there's no guarantees. Anyone from anywhere can rise to an occasion and make for a very interesting surprise.