The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

February 6th, 2005  

Topic: The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

I heard so much about the DaVinci Code by Dan Brown that I had to read it. There was a lot of controversy about it, though it's a fiction, people started believing parts of it were true, about Leonardo DaVinci leaving clues in his paintings to the Holy Grail.....

I myself thought it was a good book, as long as you keep in mind that it IS fiction....
February 8th, 2005  
Italian Guy
Yeah. Couple friends read it and it seemed to satisfy their anticlerical stands. Fascinating theories though. And it's not too much of a fiction: historians do believe that Jesus was married to the Magdlene.
February 8th, 2005  
Is it really historians who say that? Isn't that one of the parts in the book that people believe is a fact that really isn't? I don't know for sure, i've seen a documentary or two about it.....I think it said that some said that there were documents stating that Jesus kissed Mary Magdalene on the lips, but I can't remember if that was from the book or a documentary....
February 10th, 2005  
Italian Guy
It was also because they found that the title of Rabbi (lord, master) was used at the time only for men who were married and had children. Never would a single have been called so.
February 16th, 2005  
its a good read
i think people get a bit carried away. its interesting to see that the book is creating its own momentum, people are buying it and reading it and reccommending it and its popularity is increaseing exponentially, i haven't talked to anyone yet who hasn't liked it
March 24th, 2005  
dan brown took one or two facts and skewed. there is another book that was published that disprove the book .i believe it is called Decoding the Da Vinci Code.
April 19th, 2005  
Well, the fact is that the Opus Dei is almost a sect. So at least this and the Magdalene part are true.

I enjoyed the book.
April 21st, 2005  
Originally Posted by behemoth79
dan brown took one or two facts and skewed. there is another book that was published that disprove the book .i believe it is called Decoding the Da Vinci Code.
I dont think there was any reason have people disprove his book as I dont think he ever claimed it was factual.

Essentially all he did was take historical places and stories and build a fictional over plot to link them.

Personally I found the books interesting to read but both had lousey endings (almost as though he ran out of ideas and just stuck a generic ending on to finish the book).
May 2nd, 2005  
Yeah he never did say "THIS IS THE TRUTH". He took an interesting idea and presented it. A lot of people wanted to believe it was true. But otherwise a very enjoyable read.
June 12th, 2005  
More accurately you would say, "Some historians".

Also you have to consider that the bible, especially the new testament, was largely compiled by Greek Christians around 300 AD. What this means is that they somewhat altered original documents and changed the language. So Rabbi may not have been the word that Jesus' followers used. And it may not have even been the word the Greeks put down. When you consider the number of language changes that the bible has gone through, from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to recompilation to the vernacular. It's lunacy to take one word as meaning Jesus was married.

Opus Dei, like many things in the Da Vinci code is a real world organization that has nothing; or very little, to do with the Opus Dei of the book. The Universities and Museums in Indiana Jones are real, that doesn't mean they hired a nazi fighting archeologist to find hidden treasures of the ancient.