Dam Busters Re-make

--

April 25th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Topic: Dam Busters Re-make

Found this about the Dam Busters re-make by Peter Jackson:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment.../Takeoff-looms

Don't know what to think about it.
The original is a classic, (even though the effects are not up to today's standard).
I'll wait and see.
April 25th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Found this about the Dam Busters re-make by Peter Jackson:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment.../Takeoff-looms

Don't know what to think about it.
The original is a classic, (even though the effects are not up to today's standard).
I'll wait and see.
I think the original has got to be the most shown film on TV. In Singapore it was shown at least once a month, here in South Africa it's been shown countless times.

I see that they are going to call Gibsons dog Nigsy. It has also emerged that Stephen Fry was asked to come up with alternative names for squadron leader Guy Gibson's dog, ******, but that executive producer Sir David Frost rejected them all.

"Guy sometimes used to call his dog 'Nigsy', so I think that's what we will call it," Sir David told the Daily Mail newspaper. "Stephen has been coming up with other names, but this is the one I want."

Hmm yea OK.

I wonder what aircraft they will use for the flying scenes or will they be computer generated graphics?
April 25th, 2012  
Trooper1854

I believe that the project will be relying on CGI for all the flying sequences.
--
April 25th, 2012  
BritinBritain

When I think of all the Lancs that were cut up for scrap, it's enough to make me weep.
April 26th, 2012  
VDKMS

Can't wait to see it. Red Tails is also on my list.

Some other good movies I have in my collection:

Angels One Five (1952)
The Wooden Horse (1950) - true story
The First of the Few (1942) - Spitfire
The Way to the Stars (1945)
Dunkirk (1958)
633 Squadron (1964)
Ice Cold in Alex (1958)
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)

I like those old movies.

most of them I bought on Ebay ( daily mail newspaper).
April 26th, 2012  
KevinTheCynic

I like a lot of the older movies for one reason in particular - they didn't try to write the story to make it more spectacular/action-orientated/dramatic than it needed to be.
These days it seems the movie makers want to make everything "faster, more intense".
April 27th, 2012  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I think the original has got to be the most shown film on TV.
I'm watching the original on DVD now.
April 27th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I'm watching the original on DVD now.
Its a good movie Gunny, albeit a bit dated now. It was filmed at was RAF Hemswell not far from Lincoln. Hemswell was where I did my basic training, I recognised the guard room in the movie. Before going off unit dressed in our number 1's, we had to be inspected at the guard room which had a full length mirror bolted on the wall, if a man wasn't up to standard back he went.

It is rumoured Gibsons dog was "murdered" because it was a bloody nuisance, and Gibson wasn't the pleasant chap as depicted by Richard Todd although he was an outstanding and brave pilot. He flew something like 174 operations into Germany.
April 27th, 2012  
KevinTheCynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
... It is rumoured Gibsons dog was "murdered" because it was a bloody nuisance, and Gibson wasn't the pleasant chap as depicted by Richard Todd although he was an outstanding and brave pilot...
That's often the way, many times a story has been told that glossed over the less desirable aspects of some hero's personality. I recall some discussion (here in the forums I think it was) about Douglas Bader and how in real life he wasn't quite as likable as he was portrayed in the movies.
April 27th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheCynic
That's often the way, many times a story has been told that glossed over the less desirable aspects of some hero's personality. I recall some discussion (here in the forums I think it was) about Douglas Bader and how in real life he wasn't quite as likable as he was portrayed in the movies.
Its well known that Bader was arrogant beyond words, arrogance that could get people killed. His fellow officers at Colditz didn't like him at all as he was forever baiting the guards which could have ended up with rounds flying everywhere.