D-Day? i may sound stupid but..

Basically just "day day"

D-Day
H-Hour

Just a non-descript term to refer to an important period of time for a millitary operation.

From what I have read, it stands for Disembarcation day or in other words, the day of attack. It always gets me mad when people think there was only one D-day in WWII. There were dozens, if not hundreds, but people think there is only one.

Deliverence day or day of deliverence. That's what it means.

and grinch there is only 1 big d-day and that's what it's supposed to be known for.

Although there were D-Days before it, there were no more D-Days after June 6, 1944. The term became so synonymous with that invasion that the US military retired the term and all invasions since have been referred to as starting on H-Hour.

BTW, the "D" and the "H" only stand for "The". The invasion started on the day at the hour. Time periods around it would be referred to as "D-Day minus 1" or one day before the invasion day, and "H-Hour plus 5" or five hours after the start of the invasion.

Oh, I didn't know it was retired. How does the millitary talk about time periods now? Do they just use standard "It's 9:45 friday the 13th" timekeeping when talking about operations or what?

If an operation is planned now the time that it commences is referred to as H-Hour. There is no D-Day anymore. Officially D-Day refers only to June 6, 1944. Although the term was indeed used in the Pacific in WWII and was used in other operations in Europe and Africa prior to Normandy, it now only refers to Normandy. You may see texts refering to a D-Day still as being at other places and times, but the term officially only applies to Normandy and has never been used again since WWII.

In reference to time reference in military terms, the Australian army uses time groups, like you'd say 10:45 am -9.5 H (for Grenwich time) 14th April 2005 as 141045Z APR 05.
We don't use reference to D-Day in the Army any more. It's just given as an order of "no move before 141045Z APR 05 (for example)", H-Hour however is still used in certain circumstances.

As for the D in D-Day meaning Deliverence or Disembarcation, sorry but that is wrong. It means nothing the than the particular day of the operation starting.

The terms D-Day and H-Hour were first used by the Americans in WWI. In Field Order Number 9, First Army, American Expeditionary Forces, dated September 7, 1918: "The First Army will attack at H hour on D day with the object of forcing the evacuation of the St. Mihiel Salient." The terms D-day and H-hour are used for the day and hour on which a combat attack or operation is to be initiated. They designate the day and hour of the operation when the day and hour have not yet been determined, or where secrecy is essential. Think of them as variables like in Algebra. When you don't know what the number is you use a variable such as "X" or "Y" to represent that number. The same case applies here.

thegrinch073 said:
From what I have read, it stands for Disembarcation day or in other words, the day of attack. It always gets me mad when people think there was only one D-day in WWII. There were dozens, if not hundreds, but people think there is only one.

thats because THE D-Day is so famous

They called D-day is "Operation Overload". Overload because they send so many soldiers to invade Normandy.

Hmm, that's funny. They thaught me the "D" stands for Decision - Day. Well so much for that....

Is that some navy/army joke because of the huge logistics that took place?.... Or are you serious? Because it should be "Operation Overlord", but I figure that you already knew that....
I hope I don't sound condescending because that is not my intention.

Operation Overlord is correct... I believe the misnomer here of "overload" is most likely resulting from a non-rhotic dialect in either teacher, student or both.

Were it not for the american flags under their names I would have posited that they were speakers of the Estuary dialect of the UK. :lol:

Sorry I'm a geographer by profession. An estuary dialect rings on bell, but that has absolutly nothing to do with languages or their language-families...... In short: you speak in riddles to me my friend?!

Sorry mate, it has to do with whether or not the "r" is pronounced as most Americans do with a definite "er" or "ar" sound or like the british dialects that are very prevalent where the "r" sounds more like "ah" or "uh". Whereby someone with one of these dialects would pronounce the word overlord but you would hear "ovahload".

Alright, so I learned something new again. But how come you have a Chinese flag up... you seen very well informed for a Chinaman? But then again I might be presumptuous...again!

Back