Cutaneous Leishmaniasis

baghdadboil

Leishmaniasis (LEESH-mah-NYE-uh-sis) is spread through the bite of infected sand flies, which feed on human blood. Although not a threat in the United States, the disease is much more common in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the 660 reported cases represent the largest epidemic for the military since World War II. U.S. troops have nicknamed it the "Baghdad Boil."

www.baghdadboil.com

I really doubt that 660 cases is the largest disease problem since WWII. What are you trying to say here? To me it just proves that Iraq is a filthy disease ridden place and it's no surprise.
If anything, the application of bug repellent and the use of bug nets while sleeping would go a long way toward preventing this disease.
These would be great items to send to our troops, for those looking for a way to really support our troops. Thanks for the idea boil.

Baghdad boil

Defense Spending Bill Includes $10 Million Sought by Daschle to Stop Blood-Borne Parasites in Iraq and Afghanistan
Pentagon spends millions to treat rare disease, yet canceled prevention research

(WASHINGTON, DC) – The Senate today passed its FY 2005 Defense Appropriations bill, which includes Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle's request for $10 million for research into efforts to prevent and treat a skin disease that has cost the military millions of dollars and 60,000 lost duty days in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The passage of this provision in the defense appropriations bill marked the second victory this week in Daschle's efforts to fund research for leishmaniasis. On Tuesday, the Senate passed the FY 2005 Defense Authorization bill, which included $5 million for leishmaniasis research.

Leishmaniasis (LEESH-mah-NYE-uh-sis) is spread through the bite of infected sand flies, which feed on human blood. Although not a threat in the United States, the disease is much more common in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the 660 reported cases represent the largest epidemic for the military since World War II. U.S. troops have nicknamed it the "Baghdad Boil."

Senator Daschle first began seeking a solution to the leishmaniasis problem in the fall of 2003. In December 2003, he contacted Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to express concern about the elimination of leishmaniasis funding and urge him to reallocate funds from other accounts to keep the research going. As a result, the research effort received $1.2 million in March.

"I am glad the Senate has twice this week recognized the need to fund this research. Leishmaniasis research has been under-funded for several years, and our soldiers and taxpayers are now paying the price. Caused by the bite of an infected sand fly, the disease produces lesions that can aggressively spread, eventually causing disfigurement," Senator Daschle said. "Researchers say adequate funding could allow them to develop a field treatment for leishmaniasis within two to three years."

Current methods for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment are crude and little-changed from 100 years ago. The treatment itself is toxic, slow and painful and requires close supervision by trained staff, who are available only at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

The military has imposed a one-year ban on blood donations by anyone who has returned from Iraq because the symptoms can take months to develop and because even those who recover can still have the parasite in their blood. This disease can cause large lesions anywhere on the body, and can leave permanent, sometimes disfiguring scars.

A 1998 article in Military Medicine estimated per‑patient treatment costs of $17,000, as well as 92 lost duty days per leishmaniasis case. Based on 660 cases, that aggregates to $11.2 million for leishmaniasis care and 60,000 lost duty days.

A copy of Senator Daschle's letter to Secretary Rumsfeld can be seen here and photos depicting the effects of leishmaniasis can be seen here

Saved from here

This is more than just a little bug bite. I'll contact my Senators and see what's holding up the money. Our AL site has a contact site for all legislators. Thanks for the information. I had a friend who was a Cranio-Facial surgeon who died recently of a blood-borne bacterial infection. He was a part of the Doctors Without Borders program and obviously got the disease on one of his trips to South America.

a patients' e-mail to me

Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005
My husband has had leishmaniasis presenting as lesions on his lower
left leg for two years now. It attacked the reconstruction of this
leg. It has diffused around the leg but not further. There is a lump
under the skin close to one area that was particularly bad.
He spent time in urban areas, Baghdad and Al Hilla, from May 2003 a few
hours after the Mission Accomplished speech, until he was blown up on
July 7 2003.
We need to have the species of his leish diagnosed to determine how
best to deal with this. We want to be sure that what he has is not
the "viscerotropic" species. A friend of ours just died from this. We
can not have this done in any way connected to our CDC or military. We
do not trust them. They have kept information from us regarding my
husbands time in their care.
Can you help us find a laboratory?

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005
Thank you for responding.
I have some pictures here on the computer but am trying to find the file.
We would be very interested in a new drug. Would the drug be miltefosine?
My husband has been treated with and overdosed with toxic drugs due to his also
having the superbug from Iraq acinetobacter.
None of his lesions are currently open and oozing. We work at keeping his immune system very strong which makes a huge difference.
At one point after the reconstruction on his leg had healed nicely the leish attacked and reopened huge areas and they filled with the granulatomous mess. His doctors didn't know what it was!
I will find the pictures and forward to you.
Thank you again for writing.

Leishmaniasis

Leishmania parasites are named after W.B. Leishman, who developed one of the earliest stains of Leishmania in 1901. Widespread in 22 countries in the New World and in 66 nations in the Old World, leishmaniasis is not found in South-east Asia. Human infections are found in 16 countries in Europe, including France, Italy, Greece, Malta, Spain and Portugal. Occurring in several forms, the disease is generally recognized for its cutaneous form which causes non-fatal, disfiguring lesions, although epidemics of the potentially fatal visceral form cause thousands of deaths.

Back