Which culture circle possessed the greatest military power?

View Poll Results :Which culture circle possessed the greatest military power during the Middle Ages?
Europeans 23 52.27%
Middle East 9 20.45%
East Asians 12 27.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

--

July 21st, 2004  
dsj

Topic: Which culture circle possessed the greatest military power?

Which culture circle possessed the greatest military power during the middle ages? I think it was the europeans.
July 21st, 2004  
Young Winston

The Mongols were absolutely amazing. Western Europeans were pretty lucky they stopped when they did.
July 21st, 2004  
dsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
The Mongols were absolutely amazing. Western Europeans were pretty lucky they stopped when they did.
I think that they were actually stopped by the europeans due to logistics and defeats. They suffered heavy losses at Grobnok and their army was exausted with a extremelong deployment range. The death of the khan triggered it but they would probably soon retreat after a bit if he didn't die. The european army was not weaker than the mongol army.
--
July 21st, 2004  
Spartan

I believe that the main reason they stopped when they did was because Khan died, and most officers and Generals returned home.
July 21st, 2004  
dsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
I believe that the main reason they stopped when they did was because Khan died, and most officers and Generals returned home.
I believe that is a wrong aphorism. The mongols were at the end of their flooding wave and have been weakened by the end of their conquest. They were lucky to own so much land because china alone was more powerful than them. They have risen at the right time when the song dynasty was so deprived and corrupt. Europeans were more democratical than the chinese. Is in their history that their fuondations and doctorines are hore democratical than the chinese and asians. The chinese ideal was to have serious echelons and every one is below the king and the emperor to own them although there are some sayings that says differently. So since that europe was not as corrupt and they are at least as strong as china, korea and japan togther, they should be able to hold back the mongols. Their army which I believe and have reasons for, are not worse than the mongol's most eliete which were the ones sent to europe. They sufferred heavy losses and their army was extremely exausted and they can't afford many losses but the europeans can. The europeans had every advantage against them. The europeans were just unused to the mongol tactic at Sajo which is the old asian faint retreat. Tactics changes through the ages through human advancement and they do expire when the enemy adapts to gain advantage.
July 23rd, 2004  
Young Winston

I will have to read some more about this topic. There must have lots of complex reasons as to why they didn't swallow up most of Europe. The death of Khan would have been the most dramatic one.
July 23rd, 2004  
dsj

Most of the sources are inaccurate and exaggerated. The mongols were not as good. They were defeated many times. They lost too many troops and were too tired.
July 23rd, 2004  
dsj

If you just take in what books like the devil's horsemen says it is very biased and favours the mongols. It barely mentioned defeats like grobnok,Kladsko,monastery of St. Martin of Pammonia and other mongol defeats. all it says is europe was devasted, feeble, pathetic. evem I'm a better source if you want to ask about the invasion. The mongols suffered heavy losses in seiges and even in the battles it had won. The mongols lost serious battles and are depleted of their strength. They knew that they couldn't go on no more and the death of the khan finally blew thier interest.
July 25th, 2004  
Mark Conley

i believe this might settle the question of why the mongols left europe: it was their law and its enforcment to the death of the Khan.

As it developed, the Mongols did not remain long in Hungary, either. On December 11, 1241, Ogadei died in Asia. Upon learning of the great khan's death, Subotai reminded the three princes in his army of the law of succession as laid down by Genghis Khan: "After the death of the ruler all offspring of the house of Genghis Khan, wherever they might be, must return to Mongolia to take part in the election of the new khakan." Recalling all their forces, the Mongols started back to their Mongolian capital of Karakorum, postponing their invasion of central Europe for another time--a time that would never come.

the condensed version of the mongol invasion can be read here at this link for those interested.

http://historymedren.about.com/libra...olinvasion.htm

July 25th, 2004  
dsj

That one is incorrect. The generals didn't go back. They stayed at russia.