Cracked me up, might offend some. - Page 3

--

June 20th, 2006  
mmarsh

MovingTarget

Thanks for reminding me to fix my avatar, it got zapped when Redleg upgraded the server. I get alot of questions about my nationality. Essentially I'm in Bulldogg's situation. I'm a American ex-pat living abroad. Although I do have French citizenship as well. I dont quite get the Tipper Gore anology, I'm from the East Coast, you'll have to explain.

To business...

First of all this is the military. And in the military you dont have all the freebees that the Constitution provides, plus there is the code of military conduct to consider. If Pvt. Beliel wanted to artistically express himself, then he should have chosen showbiz, the Marines was definatly the wrong choice.

Secondly, as in all things. There is a line. Would you joke about the Holocaust in front of a bunch of concentration camp survivors? Or sing songs praising the lynchings in the south in front of Afro-Americans? I dont know you, but I am going to guess no. Those are over the line. As was this. If it wasnt, then the USMC wouldnt have acted. Simple as that.

The problem with the song as opposed to your example (which is largely fiction), there are too many similarities between the song and a current, real world, situation. We have the USMC trying to keep a lid on a potential sh**storm in Haditha that would not only damage the image of the Marine Corps but more importantly the image of the country (whats left of it).

So what would you do if an idiot under your command who undermines the USMC Herculean task to put a lid on Haditha? The USMC response is hardly surprising.
June 20th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

The private didn't want to express himself artistically. He wanted to try and help himself(as bulldogg mentioned earlier). He wanted to relieve the events and he chose song.

"There is a line."-Tell that to the Arabs who drank on 9/11. Stop using that one, because we are going to reiterate the same point to you...Otherwise known as the Golden Rule. Treat others as you would like them to treat you. Since they treated us like that, we are gonna do the same to them.

The USMC responce is a bit surprising to me considering they(the men who hand out the punishments) have more than likely all been there...They know how it is to be messed up from a war...So how could they turn around and bash a collegue for trying to keep from having nightmares about Iraq?
June 20th, 2006  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1Lt Henderson
Alls fair in love and war.
Not quite true. There is that thing called the Geneva Conventions which the USA abides by.
--
June 20th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

Curses...I forgot about that...
June 20th, 2006  
The Cooler King

'Tis a sad world we live in when we have to watch what we do or we might hurt our enemey's feelings. We wouldn't want that to happen now, would we?
June 20th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

Haha, well put CK.
June 20th, 2006  
mmarsh

Again,

Lets seperate Iraqi Civilians and Iraqi insurgents. My comments are for the former, the latter will roast in hell.
June 20th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

And again,

Lets remember the fact that what started this entire affair in the Middle Eastern Theatre was an attack on CIVILIANS.
June 20th, 2006  
FutureDevilDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1Lt Henderson
And again,

Lets remember the fact that what started this entire affair in the Middle Eastern Theatre was an attack on CIVILIANS.
Yes but let us not stoop down to their level and kill civillians as well. Dont get me wrong though I love the song.
June 20th, 2006  
mmarsh

Nor were Iraqi Civilians responsible for 9-11...

Anyway, there better things to do like Soccer! England vs Sweden, bye y'all...