Could UK defeat Germany without help from the United States? - Page 3

View Poll Results :Could UK alone defeat Germany in WW2?
Yes 9 31.03%
No 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

--

August 4th, 2004  
theredbaron

Thank you David, unfortunately people have lost the simplest of manners these days.

I leave with this thought tonite...

What do you think the US response would have been if Germany and Russia had made a seperate peace deal in say '42?

Just a counterfactual question one of my students asked me once...
August 4th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

.....and a question worthy of starting as a “New Topic” – please do so sir and I will be more than happy to think this question over and comment. I think it is a wonderful idea.
August 5th, 2004  
Young Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Never.

In fact the poll should really read:

Could the UK and the USA have defeated Germany without help from the Soviet Union?
I totally agree. The US and the UK would have got there arses kicked by the superior German Army if the Germans hadn't turned on the USSR.

The UK can thank the English Channel once again. If the Germans were able to invade England they would have made "mincemeat" of the UK Army. Sure the English would have fought bravely in 1940 but would have been finally crushed.

The US Army never fought the Germans at full strength. Check out the Normandy Battles. They would have got "a nice old touch up" from the Germans if they had. The Germans lost the Battle of the Bulge because they ran out of fuel and had no air cover when the weather got better. Their retreat from a superior Allied Army was achieved with great skill.

The Allies fought some battle hardened Panzer Divisions in Normandy with great difficulty and the Germans having virtually no air cover.
--
August 5th, 2004  
Paddster

Quote:
The Germans were defeated by D-Day, when the US landed?

Rite...

1 - There would have been no D-Day with out Britain.
2 - Er... Russia?
3- You rate the heavy losses in military material in North Africa minor? 500 Ju-52s lost in three weeks is minor?
4 - Why no mention of the American defeat at Kasserine Pass when the US first met the Germans?
I wholeheartedly know that not all Americans, and all people are like this, but some are... Before on another Military History forum there was a topic about WW2's most influential battle, this Moderator was convinced that the Battle of the bulge was far important and deadly than Stalingrad.

Now don't get me wrong, the Battle of the Bulge was important, but this guy made me sick, what ignorance, he was American, and sadly puts a bad name on all people, particularly Americans who are proud of their countries achievements.

But I understand where you are coming from, Patriotism is fine, but not when you post it as fact...

Personally a 'Uk & Empire & USA vs Soviet Union' would be a difficult one, I do think the Soviets would have beaten us though.
August 5th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Like I have said before.....

Quote:
".....let’s not forget all the other many countries that committed their warriors, resources, and efforts to stop Fascism. The bottom line is that the reality of this situation and the positive outcome in defeating Fascism required a collective world effort."
August 5th, 2004  
Paddster

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a go at you David, I was saying people at hollywood put, at times, a bad name on Americans and make it seem as though 'Americans won the war' when that is not the case.

Never judge someone by their group, it is the individual.
August 5th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Quote:
I wholeheartedly know that not all Americans, and all people are like this, but some are... Before on another Military History forum there was a topic about WW2's most influential battle, this Moderator was convinced that the Battle of the bulge was far important and deadly than Stalingrad.

Now don't get me wrong, the Battle of the Bulge was important, but this guy made me sick, what ignorance, he was American, and sadly puts a bad name on all people, particularly Americans who are proud of their countries achievements.
Paddster, I agree regarding your concepts about Hollywood, but then again most people already know they make everything and anything bigger than life. However, as an American I know that Americans can be just as egocentric and zealous as any other persons in the world. In fact, I have seen enough of these types for everyone in this forum. Nonetheless, the manner above in which you quoted and discussed this person’s points reinforces the reader to think that this person you are referring is an American. Just for the record, I think it is important to note that this man you quoted in your comments is British.
August 5th, 2004  
theredbaron

I am sorry for my earlier comments. As I stated to David I apologise for any offence but was merely trying to point out that often the US is portrayed as the sole winner of the war. I know that some people in the US believe this and others dont. I also misread Davids post.

As for the comment of GB,US vs USSR, I was involved in such a debate on another WW2 forum and it had very interesting answers...
August 5th, 2004  
Paddster

Hahahaha, no don't worry guys, I'm not going mad or anything at either of you.

I just quoted that for...well I forgot, but I was just pointing out that these sort of things which theredbaron said are what annoys British, aussies, canadians and all none-americans. But I was saying that not all Americans are like that, and that we shouldn't judge an individual by their group.

I'm just saying that some people on this forum post there Patriotism as Fact.

I'm kind of tired at the moment so it may sound confusing, I'm sorry if I offeneded or confused anyone.
August 5th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Paddster, drive on sir.......you are a good man and I salute you and your great, great, great, great [I hope this count is correct?] grandfather!