Corpsman or Marine?

--

December 27th, 2004  
Damien

Topic: Corpsman or Marine?

I recently had a conversation with a friend of mine who was a Navy Corpsman that worked with marine recon teams. He said it's easier to go through the Navy and then join Marine Force Recon as a Corpsman.

What do you all think?
December 27th, 2004  
03USMC

Ain't nothin easy about gettin into a Force Reconnisance Company. Whether your a Marine or a Corpsman. You still have to meet exceedingly high indoc standards.
December 27th, 2004  
Sooners1

03USMC is right on the money. There is no easy way to get into Marine Force Recon. Not sure what your friend meant on that one, maybe cause you go through boot and school with the Navy instead of Marines.
--
December 27th, 2004  
03USMC

He might mean that it's easier to get an indoc spot as a Corpsman than as a Marine. But even as a Corpsman you would have to have time in a regular Marine Unit and pass Indoc.
December 27th, 2004  
Damien

I think by "easier" he meant spiritually. He explained how corpsmen are there for medical help, so they focus less on killing the enemy, more on saving the injured... That's just my take on the conversation.

What I'm asking is, from your experiences either as or dealing with Recon teams and Corpsmen, which do you think I should choose. Either way, I'm going force recon, I'll just do a different job and wear a different uniform as far as I know.
December 27th, 2004  
03USMC

I gotta alot of love for Corpsman. But Corpsman assigned to Force Recon are a different breed. They are team members who do everything the rest of the team does plus they have their Corpsman responsbilities.

As stated above ethier way it's gonna take alot to make the grade.
December 27th, 2004  
Damien

I know it'll take a lot for either road, that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is which you think I should do...

From what I heard, as a Corpsman you have to go through Navy basic, then through the Marine boot.... is that true?
December 27th, 2004  
03USMC

No you don't go thru Marine Corps Boot. You go to Fleet Field Corps School where you are given training concerning the way Navy Corpsmen operate within the Marine Corps.

As to which way you should go. Well thats up to you and what you want.
December 28th, 2004  
Judas

My recruiter tells me that Corpsmen are some of the more hardcore personell in the military..

He told me that the Corpsmen are ruthless because, as they are trying to save you, they are using ur weapon at the same time

He also told me that they are the only people in the non-marine branch to wear marine dress blues which, in my opinion, look awesome
December 29th, 2004  
03USMC

Corpsmen are not authorized the wear of the Marine Corps Blue dress uniform.
Corpsmen who go "regs" are authorized to wear the Marine Corps Emblem. Marine Corps Service Dress A, B, and C uniforms. Provided they adhere to Marine Corps Grooming and Physical standards.

Refer to Section 8 of the United States Marine Corps Uniform Regulations and Section 5 of the United States Navy Uniform Regulations.