Commuinity college the way to go?

WarMachine

I've been conditioned to enter a 4-year university since i was 13. Now that my math level is too low to enter even state colleges, i have few options left available. The rest of my grades are fairly good though just math i'm bad at. Private school is too expensive to go through general education courses, so i'm going to community college to tranfer to a university like UCLA. Do you guys think this is a good course, i just need some opinions out there.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Don't be discouraged about your math scores. There are unfortunately alot of bad math teachers out there.

Hrm, I'm really not in favor of community college. I really think you'd be better served in going into the millitary and then using those skills back in the civilian world once you get out.

I was considering the military route since it would pay for a lot of my college, but my cousin did that and had been a bit discouraged with the whole marines thing. I wouldn't mind goig to the military, but i think it would take some of my youthful years away in iraq, and i don't want to graduate college at 26. Other then veterans benefits, is there anything else to look foward to, and i'm talking tangible things.

behemoth79 said:
there is nothing wrong with getting rid of your undergrad stuff in a CC. thats what im doing.
Same here. Just get it out of the way now, you'll be better off if you do.

WarMachine said:
I was considering the military route since it would pay for a lot of my college, but my cousin did that and had been a bit discouraged with the whole marines thing. I wouldn't mind goig to the military, but i think it would take some of my youthful years away in iraq, and i don't want to graduate college at 26. Other then veterans benefits, is there anything else to look foward to, and i'm talking tangible things.

That is the direction I took for the same reasons you cite. I first took a remedial course in Algebra, then took courses that would transfer to a four year college. Worked out great, classes are smaller and you aren't pushed as hard as in a four year college.

Remember the poor kid who was a below average algebra student in Germany? He stuck with it and Albert Einstein went on to bigger things.

It depends a great deal on what you want to get out of the next couple of years. if your main concern is getting a degree from a 4 year college/university then going the CC route and busting your butt while learning math you need might be the way to go for you.
If you want even more of a challenge then go the military route. Yes, you can get your tuition paid for in return for a whole lot of extra time and effort on your part. At the risk of sounding trite, you will get out of it what you are willing to put into it. That's the route I went and it wasn't easy but it was worthwhile.
Oh and Missileer is right, don't get discouraged and be persistent.

for those of you that have taken cc, was it at all intensive or did you get by it with the work necessary. See, i'm a bit worried of what my friend told me, that we're gonna take a lot of classes over a 2 year time period, did you guys need a lot, or would you say it was a moderate amount of work.

BTW, i'm entering a sorta honors program there so it maybe be different from the regular roster of classes.

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to low scores. My SAT scores are a wopping 980. Without sports, I had littel chance of getting into college. When I took my enterence exams, I was on the left of the bell curve in EVERYTHING. I had to take sub freshman level math and english to make me more edumacated.

Coming from somone whos been there, your best bet is to take classes at a community college. The entry level classes are all the same and boring as hell. There is no need to spend thousands more at a school like UCLA when you can take them dirt cheap at a CC just down the road. The only catch is transfering credits. You MUST have good grades and the school you are tranfering to MUST have the exact course. Penn State accepted my 3 courses I took at a community school, but when I transfered my credits from Penn State to Austin Peay, I lost a few courses. Lucky, my military credits made up the difference.

The work you do at college is not bad as long as drinking and women do not take away from your studies. That is why my sorry :cen: with a 980 SAT got a 3.5 my first year at Penn State while my freinds who had 1300 and 1400 SAT score got 2. someings. Remember, go to all the classes. The teachers will notice who is there all the time. PLus they will tell you WHAT NOT TO STUDY for a test.

Any more questions?

Back