Combat vest and body armor development.




 
--
 
May 11th, 2005  
gladius
 

Topic: Combat vest and body armor development.


Those any one know what is the state armor development right for personal indiviual use?

Is there any vest or body armor right now that can stop a 7.62 round.

If so, it widely available? Or when will it be available?

Is there plans to develope full body armor, kinda like the storm troopers in Starwars?

Is such a thing feasable or will it be too heavy?

I'm wondering if any type of full body armor are planed to come into use any time soon.
May 11th, 2005  
c/Commander
 
 
I would be surprised if a 7.62mm round hitting the current US Interceptor body armor would penetrate, but I'm not an expert, sorry.
May 11th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle
 
There is armor that can prevent a 7.62 from going through, but you need to put in the ceramic plates.
--
May 11th, 2005  
hicks
 
I've never seen it, but I've talked to a few follow Infantryman that said they were in fact hit with a 7.62mm in the chest with the Interceptor Body Armor and after they got knocked over at first, they got right back up and kept fighting.

How true it is, I'm not sure. But take it as you will.
May 12th, 2005  
gladius
 
Hmmmm....

Even if it can only stop one or two bullets before falling apart that at least increases your survivability by 100 to 200%. Getting knocked down is better than dying.

I'm wondering if they will come up with full body armor (like a Knight or Star Wars Stormtrooper) for this type of stuff, thats light enough of course.
May 12th, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
Hmmmm....

Even if it can only stop one or two bullets before falling apart that at least increases your survivability by 100 to 200%. Getting knocked down is better than dying.

I'm wondering if they will come up with full body armor (like a Knight or Star Wars Stormtrooper) for this type of stuff, thats light enough of course.
It's in early development for a tentative 2020 incept date (of course by army parlance that REALLY means 2030-2040).

I think the bean counters have finally been figuring out that it's the infantry that takes 25% of all casualites in modern wars, so maybe it's time to give them some technological spending too. $200 million spent on a single F-22 and we're still sending the boys that do all the dying out there with 50 year old guns and nothing but some painted cloth between them and a bullet.
May 12th, 2005  
gladius
 
Now that you put it that way, its absolutely true. The infantry needs more consideration since they take most of the casualties.

2030 is a long time to wait though.
May 12th, 2005  
FO Seaman
 
 
There are five different levels of armor I,II,III,IV,and V. I will stop fragments, II will stop fragements, III will stop fragments and SMG 9mm rounds, IV will stop 9mm SMG and low power rifle rounds, V will stop a 7.62mm 155 grain Boattail Sierra round. Interseptor is level V. It will stop a 7.62mm round. Levels IV and V have steel and ceramic plates inserted also the flexable Kevlar filler.
May 12th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
There are five different levels of armor I,II,III,IV,and V. I will stop fragments, II will stop fragements, III will stop fragments and SMG 9mm rounds, IV will stop 9mm SMG and low power rifle rounds, V will stop a 7.62mm 155 grain Boattail Sierra round. Interseptor is level V. It will stop a 7.62mm round. Levels IV and V have steel and ceramic plates inserted also the flexable Kevlar filler.
What jobs have what vests?
May 14th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike
 
 

Topic: Re: Combat vest and body armor development.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
I'm wondering if any type of full body armor are planed to come into use any time soon.
You mean armor that lets the wearer be knocked out by a slingshot (The Empire Strikes Back)?