Combat vest and body armor development. - Page 2

--

May 14th, 2005  
hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Eagle

What jobs have what vests?
I think right now the highest risk jobs have the most advanced vets.

But I'm pretty sure almost all deploying Infantry units have the IBA, and I'm sure eventually everybody would have it.

The money for it is coming.... just slowly.
May 15th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
There are five different levels of armor I,II,III,IV,and V. I will stop fragments, II will stop fragements, III will stop fragments and SMG 9mm rounds, IV will stop 9mm SMG and low power rifle rounds, V will stop a 7.62mm 155 grain Boattail Sierra round. Interseptor is level V. It will stop a 7.62mm round. Levels IV and V have steel and ceramic plates inserted also the flexable Kevlar filler.

Usually level I&II are used by vehicle crewman, level III and IV by rear and middle line troops, and IV and V used by front line troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks
Quote:

I think right now the highest risk jobs have the most advanced vets.

But I'm pretty sure almost all deploying Infantry units have the IBA, and I'm sure eventually everybody would have it.

The money for it is coming.... just slowly.
Ya. Each vest cost $1200 brand new, compared to the older PASGT that cost $350 new.
May 16th, 2005  
gladius

Thanks for the info Cadet Airman Adam Seaman.

I hope they come up with more armor such as face and neck shield. Might be a little heavy but hopefully composite materials will make the stuff lighter. Anyways knights fought with full body armor anf they still managed so its not something that can't be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar 'Deathstrike'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
I'm wondering if any type of full body armor are planed to come into use any time soon.
You mean armor that lets the wearer be knocked out by a slingshot (The Empire Strikes Back)?
Lol. You're right, makes you wonder why they wore it other than to look threatening. I guess the Empire has to look mean, even if their soldiers are wearing thin plastic suits.

By the way wasn't it the Ewoks who used the slingshots weren't they in another StarWars movie. (I think?)
--
May 16th, 2005  
bushpig1998

No No No, the Ewoks went on to have their own movies, and it is only now, that I;m a parent, that I understand what pure hell I put my parents through by forcing them to wtch the old Beta Tapes of Ewoks with me!

On the Armor - Does it say whether it will stop 7.62 NATO or 7.62x39?

We are very close to a situation where rifles (like the 5.56) will become useless. My best vest is avoidance....when the bullets start flying, hit the deck and return fire. I don't think rifles cause that many fatalities on the battle field anymore - mostly because of the armor, but also because our modern enemies are highly motivated, but excepotionally badly trained. Look at Sgt. Kassal - he got shot 6 times? None of the wounds fatal! I'm willing to bet that the grenade did more damage than the bullets.

Anyways, the more armor the better. Ok, I need to go do something...all this coffee is not gooooood!!!!!
May 16th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle

Quote:
Thanks for the info Cadet Airman Adam Seaman.

I hope they come up with more armor such as face and neck shield. Might be a little heavy but hopefully composite materials will make the stuff lighter. Anyways knights fought with full body armor anf they still managed so its not something that can't be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar 'Deathstrike'
Quote:
I'm wondering if any type of full body armor are planed to come into use any time soon.
You mean armor that lets the wearer be knocked out by a slingshot (The Empire Strikes Back)?
Lol. You're right, makes you wonder why they wore it other than to look threatening. I guess the Empire has to look mean, even if their soldiers are wearing thin plastic suits.

By the way wasn't it the Ewoks who used the slingshots weren't they in another StarWars movie. (I think?)
Ewoks were in Return of the Jedi.

On the Armor, thanks for the info Cadet Airman Adam Seaman.