Civil War what if - Page 2

--

September 29th, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I don't think it would have mattered where they put the capital as they lacked the manpower, infrastructure and industrial base to fight a protracted war.

I also think people tend to romanticise Lee as some great leader who given more would have led the South to victory when in reality he never won an offensive battle and was overly cautous throughout the war, I personally think the South lost its best General when Jackson was killed.

In the end as long as the North had the will to fight the South was doomed.
In theory North Vietnam couldn't have won either, but Wars can be won politically. Lincoln might not have been reelected in Bragg had puished on after Chickamauga & destroyed the Union Army & retaken Tennessee, leaving the deep South Yankee free come election time. As it was Sherman only got it with a couple months to spare.
September 30th, 2010  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
In theory North Vietnam couldn't have won either, but Wars can be won politically. Lincoln might not have been reelected in Bragg had puished on after Chickamauga & destroyed the Union Army & retaken Tennessee, leaving the deep South Yankee free come election time. As it was Sherman only got it with a couple months to spare.
Not entirely true as North Vietnam still had open supply lines and fought a war that suited its combat ability, the Southern States on the other hand had next to no industrial base and was blockaded effectively by the North therefore it was impossible to keep a large army in the field and on the offensive thus the only war the Southern States could have fought was a defensive one and they failed to do that.

The Southern States could not win as long as the North had the will to fight and I can not think of any stage between 1861 and 1865 where they lost the will to fight even after the poor showing of 1861-62.

I think people much like they do Lee have painted the South in a very romantic light but the reality is that it is only through Northern ineptitude at command level that war was not over by 1863.