Chinese WZ-10 attack helicopter - Page 2

--

October 6th, 2007  
godofthunder9010

Of course it's going to essentially be a copy. Just about every attack helicopter is a copy at some level or another. The principals are pretty universal: Narrow front profile to present a small target for ground troops to fire on, highly versatile interchangeable weapons systems, top of the line FCS, and fast and agile speed and performance and reasonably good armor.

Just about every current attack helicopter design is a direct descendant of two helicopters developed by the USA during the Vietnam War: the AH-56 Cheyenne and the AH-1G Cobras (the latter be the more successful design.) The earliest development of the use of helicopters for air to ground assault platforms can probably be credited to the French. The perfecting of the modern attack helicopter design, look and feel can largely be credited to the USA.

The Cobra was so successful that the Vietcong put out a hit on all Cobra pilots, with a substantial reward to anyone who killed them.

Anyways, to say that the Chinese have copied someone else makes them just as guilty as just about everyone else. My real question is the same as it usually is with Chinese military hardware: Can China produce this thing from start to finish without any outside help?
October 7th, 2007  
bulldogg

What is your definition of "outside help"?
October 7th, 2007  
A Can of Man

Who cares if it's a copy? If it does it's job it's still dangerous. No need to reinvent the wheel.
All I gotta say is that the Chinese, if they can get their act together, will be a tougher foe than the Soviet Union ever dreamed of being. Chinese conventional forces are modernizing at a frightening rate.
If that thing is a direct or close enough copy of the Eurocopter Tiger, I'd be worried.
--
October 7th, 2007  
Regisvo

"the_13th_redneck", I don't understand why you are worrying about China's development. China is a peace-loving nation at most time, by reason of Chinese traditional ideology is peace-loving.

Still worry about RED China? The color of red means HAPPY and FESTIVE in the Chinses tradition. Do you dislike a happy and festive nation - red China?

October 7th, 2007  
Yossarian

Wonder how the European designers are feeling now.
Regsivo, thanks for actually saying that, I think that to many people here are looking at China like a spring under pressure, ready to pop of on regional conquest. Yet, a large sum of some of their nations goods are imported from China.
October 7th, 2007  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisvo
"the_13th_redneck", I don't understand why you are worrying about China's development. China is a peace-loving nation at most time, by reason of Chinese traditional ideology is peace-loving.

Still worry about RED China? The color of red means HAPPY and FESTIVE in the Chinses tradition. Do you dislike a happy and festive nation - red China?

It's not only him who is worried about Communist government of China. Many of us in the west are concerned with the Chinese government
October 8th, 2007  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
It's not only him who is worried about Communist government of China. Many of us in the west are concerned with the Chinese government
This is true. There is an underlying feeeling that the Chinese government cannot be trusted and that something big will happen.
October 17th, 2007  
LeEnfield

Rather reminds me of the South African attack helicopter
October 17th, 2007  
5.56X45mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
This is true. There is an underlying feeeling that the Chinese government cannot be trusted and that something big will happen.
Never trusted the Chi-Coms and I will keep my distance and my eye on them.
October 18th, 2007  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisvo

Regisvo, far too many people here remember the mad excesses of the Red Guard to just suddenly think that China is a happy peace loving country. I think many Chinese citizens also remember this period of recent history with fear and loathing. also the Communist party's use of the PLA in Red Square against their own citizens. These things make the west very cautious about trusting the Chinese Government.