Chinese missile could shift Pacific power balance - Page 2

--

August 24th, 2010  
Gestapo Hunter

You make it sound as if 1 missile can sink a modern warship (which i doubt). I thought generally you have to launch a dozen of these things at one ship to overwhelm its defense system,and even then it also depends on how close those missiles can get before being detected.
August 28th, 2010  
Partisan

I disagree, the amount of money spent on missiles - they are designed to kill something a lot more expensive, that is why cost so much. Ship killers, tank killers, aeroplane killers, they are all there, it is a questio of warhead, size and guidance, the rest I'm assured is a matter of physics.
September 2nd, 2010  
Choco

¿Does someone believe that China is go to sink a Nimitz class carrier for some crappy reason (I.e. Korean Wargames, The fleet in international waters colse to China)?

¿Does someone believe that the sinking of a 6,000 crewed Nimitz class carrier can't degenerate into a nukefest, just because the Dong Feng is actually a conventional missile?

PS: The only Navy Officer with expertise in these matters I'm close to, (He participated in the succesful Combat System Ship Qualification Test for the Spanish AEGIS frigates in San Diego) is pretty sceptic about the real threat that the Dong Feng 21D is for a Nimitz carrier group but, who knows?

--
September 5th, 2010  
Callsign 24 Seira

Topic: On the DF21D threat...

On the DF21D threat...
First and foremost, the United States Navy has a demonstrated capability of intercepting and destroying both missiles and warheads in flight. US will need to expand that capability through construction of both new Aegis vessels, and other, purpose-designed platforms to provide sufficient Anti-ASBM protection for Carried Battle Groups, as well as other important facilities.

A simple solution, however, would be to change their nuclear response policy in regards to the DF-21D and other such systems. The problem with an Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile is that it is indistinguishable from any other ICBM. It has virtually identical signatures from launch through impact. In that regard, it is impossible to know whether the warhead(s) onboard are nuclear or conventional.
Even if the Chinese were to sign a treaty that these missiles would ONLY be armed with conventional warheads, the Yanks could never be certain that they were, and even then, whether it was an actual DF-21 or some other ICBM being launched.
September 7th, 2010  
Gman88

Well, as far as I know, I think China has a declared "non-first use" policy?
September 7th, 2010  
Shmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman88
Well, as far as I know, I think China has a declared "non-first use" policy?
Actually they've said that in case if the US intervenes in Chinese-Taiwanese dispute they will use first. Anyway this missile is conventional.