China's sudden show of force sent SDF jets scrambling

rock45

China's sudden show of force sent SDF jets scrambling

01/02/2008
BY TSUYOSHI NOJIMA, THE ASAHI SHIMBUN TAIPEI--Aggressive military action by China's air force in the East China Sea triggered alarm in Japan that resulted in emergency scrambling by Self-Defense Forces fighter jets on two days in September.
Chinese bombers made more than 40 sorties in airspace around the disputed Chunxiao gas field, known as Shirakaba in Japanese. SDF jets were scrambled 12 times, according to Taiwanese military sources.
Japanese government sources later confirmed the account.
China's action initially was seen as provocative. However, Japanese experts say the exercise could have been part of the Chinese military's readiness in the East China Sea in the event of an emergency situation in Taiwan.

Full story
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200801020031.html

Not a good time to have the F-15 fleet down I guess.

China would be more concerned with a U.S floating island that likes to call Japan its home port. China should be more careful before Japan starts to lose its patience and starts a arms race.

Japan arms race

Very good point imagine if Japan split the future aircraft order between upgrading there F-15s with AESA radar's and picking up two squadrons of Typhoon's. I know it would be very slim chance of Japan buying non American fighters but it would it would piss them off for messing with Japan. Most American weapons would be cleared to use on Typhoon's and it matches up nicely against either China's Russian bought Flankers or there home grown J-11Bs Flankers. Maybe AESA radar's could be installed the Japan's F-4s, I know that would costly for a old platform but teamed with good AWACS still gives Japan some added shooters. Still wish Boeing produced something better then the F-15 but less then the F-22. I still feel there's a non stealth market being thrown away in a way.
icon12.gif

Very good point imagine if Japan split the future aircraft order between upgrading there F-15s with AESA radar's and picking up two squadrons of Typhoon's. I know it would be very slim chance of Japan buying non American fighters but it would it would piss them off for messing with Japan. Most American weapons would be cleared to use on Typhoon's and it matches up nicely against either China's Russian bought Flankers or there home grown J-11Bs Flankers. Maybe AESA radar's could be installed the Japan's F-4s, I know that would costly for a old platform but teamed with good AWACS still gives Japan some added shooters. Still wish Boeing produced something better then the F-15 but less then the F-22. I still feel there's a non stealth market being thrown away in a way.
icon12.gif

They could always jump on the F-35 band wagon if they wanted to, I know what I am about to say will be totally crazy by some peoples standards but I have a gut feeling that the U.S will offer the F-22 to Japan even though the Defense Department says it is a bird of prey that belongs solely to the U.S and will not be sold abroad.

Japan

You may end up being right but I hope not mainly because of the missile secrets the Chinese spies got from Japan. Losing the tech involved could save the Chinese 10 years or more if stolen. Another reason is the billions of dollars in R&D money spent beginning with the F-117 program which is difficult to past along. Its difficult I want to say more but don't want to come across as selfish for my country. On the other hand I totally respect our allies for what they do daily and for what they have given up.

You may end up being right but I hope not mainly because of the missile secrets the Chinese spies got from Japan. Losing the tech involved could save the Chinese 10 years or more if stolen. Another reason is the billions of dollars in R&D money spent beginning with the F-117 program which is difficult to past along. Its difficult I want to say more but don't want to come across as selfish for my country. On the other hand I totally respect our allies for what they do daily and for what they have given up.

Agreed - Japan has shown the U.S recently though that they will come down hard on individuals for spying, there has been a few individuals who have been delt severe prison terms. This is going to become a matter of importance for the U.S to turn Japan in a fully capable opponent against China, plus if we could get South Korea and Japan to work closely together on this goal then China will have some really major head aches, with both of their economies this would be awesome. We will have to waite and see what happens inregards to Japans next generation fighter, for some reason the Euro fighter is a no deal for Japan and they have stated that they will waite and see what we will officially decide to do, also the F-22 procurement has been put on hold for the U.S or drastically slowed down due to other priorities, this would give a good reason to keep the production line open and just may lower our cost a tad bit.

Back