China denies reports it will sell fighter jets to Iran

rock45

China denies reports it will sell fighter jets to Iran

The Associated Press
Published: October 25, 2007
BEIJING: China denied Thursday published reports it had agreed to sell its homegrown fighter jets to Iran, saying no talks had taken place. Reports in Russian and Israeli media said Iran had signed a deal with China to purchase two dozen of its home-designed fighter jets known as the J-10, which could signal greater military cooperation between the countries at a time of continued tension between Iran and the West over its nuclear program.
"It's not true, it is an irresponsible report," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao told reporters. "China has not had talks with Iran on J-10 jets."
Chinese state media revealed at the end of last year that the Chinese air force was equipped with a new generation of the J-10 fighter plane.

Full story

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/10/25/asia/AS-GEN-China-Iran-Fighter-Jets.php

Strange

Usually China would make the world press and twenty governments wait but not this time. They were quick and right to the point unlike the Chinese, they have a way of dragging things out. China and Iran do have a arms and tech connection they have bought missiles from China and aircraft wise have a few J-7s. I believe China buys more then 20 percent of there oil if not more from Iran so there's something there. It's just a feeling I have but I think J-10s will be sold to Iran at some point. I can't back that up with proof it's just a feeling. I just think this aircraft isn't complete yet it's radar, weapons systems, and radar guided missile, just isn't ready for world market sales yet. I think it's close but China's rep would be on the line if they went public with this aircraft. To me a bad sign for China was when Pakistan AF went looking for a radar/missile combo and looked at the RC400/MICA combo from France, for there JF-17. China built this aircraft for them with a little of there help design wise and yet still went high price French, left a bad feeling about there radar/missile combo.

Round two

A slight update nothing earth shattering thought I would add it to the thread.

Chengdu J-10 Fighters for Iran

by Richard Fisher, Jr.
Published on October 28th, 2007
ARTICLES

According to an October 23 report by Russia’s Kommersant, “Iran has signed a contract with China for the delivery of two squadrons of J-10 fighter planes…Representatives of the Iran Aircraft Manufacturing Industrial Company said China would deliver the total (24 jets) in 2008-2010. Engines for the jets will be supplied by Russia…estimating one fighter at $40 million, put the contract’s value at $1 billion.”[1]
On October 24 a reputable Asian source confirmed this sale to the IASC, noting that it will include 20 single seat J-10A fighters, 4 J-10S twin-seat fighters, 120 SD-10A medium-range self-guided air-to-air missiles and 120 PL-9C short-range air-to-air missiles.

Full story
http://www.strategycenter.net/research/pubID.171/pub_detail.asp

Back