Chaplain In War Zone Used To Seeing Stress

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Arizona Republic (Phoenix)
December 31, 2007 By Bill Hess, Sierra Vista Herald
SIERRA VISTA - It makes no difference what a person's faith is, or even if a soldier does not believe, chaplains work across theological lines to help troops solve personal problems.
In a combat area, the work of the Army's uniformed religious leaders takes on greater significance, Chaplain (Lt. Col.) Mark Zerger said.
The building in Camp Victory in Iraq that is his office for the next 13 months has sandbag protection on this tightly controlled military installation.
As the 11th Signal Brigade's chaplain, Zerger, 55, said deployments are stressful for soldiers who are called to leave their families and the comfort of their stateside post - in this case Fort Huachuca - and that can lead to problems in marriages.
He often sees soldiers who are lonely, agitated or homesick.
A Southern Baptist pastor, the chaplain said the brigade headquarters company has soldiers from a number of faith-based groups and that he serves them all.
The topic of religion doesn't come up unless the soldier brings it up, Zerger said.
"I don't bring up my beliefs," Zerger said.
Within the Army, chaplains are a major source of counseling, he said.
Even those who don't believe in God come to chaplains to talk out problems, Zerger said.
"Just about everyone comes to see the chaplain," he said, adding, "Some come to blow off steam and others just to have a cup of coffee and joke around."
For some, chaplains are a good first step in mental-health counseling. But only the initial one, he said.
Chaplains have to know what their role is, what limits they have and how to seek additional help for a soldier, Zerger said.
Zerger served as an infantry soldier from 1971 to 1974. He also was a police officer for a couple of years and then became an Army reserve chaplain before returning to active duty 19 years ago.
He and his wife have a son, Sean, a second lieutenant in the field artillery at Fort Sill, Okla.
"He's suppose to be here (in Iraq) next year," Zerger said.
There are a number of chaplains at Camp Victory and they work together providing services, Zerger said.
There is a general Protestant service, but chaplains of different denominations also perform based on their faith-based background, he said.
An outgoing man, Zerger's presence is easily seen and heard in the dining facility. Zerger said he is always concerned about the welfare of a soldier.
And it's not just a one-time service for the chaplain.
If he sees a soldier who has sought help, which is common in the close confines of the brigade's complex, Zerger said, "I do follow-up and try to close the loop."
Chaplains are the only members of the military prohibited from carrying a weapon, and some people question why he and others serve as religious leaders in the armed forces.
"I'm not a pacifist," Zerger said.

Back