Captured japanese war flag

carbonero

Hey all,

I would like some help to identify the japanese markings on a japanese war flag i just acquired. any help would be sorely appreciated!:

http://www.klpstudio.com/japan_web/

here is a lo res shot to make you wonder:
00001klpstudio_com_small.jpg

Well I'm living in Monterey CA, which is by the Defense Language Institute. I may be able to get a hold of some of the Japanese linguists and get them to go over it, if you are still interested.

japanese war flag

That would be great, I would appreciate it very much.

Below is a thread which has information that may help the research and what I have learned so far (read from the bottom up for the proper order):

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr.[/FONT] Larsen

I am very glad to be pleased.

Kashima Shinto shrine is certainly in Hitachi city as your guess. It is a very famous, large Shinto shrine.
And, the mistake is not found in the Hitachi Corp is there in Hitachi city before either.

However, I do not guess that Mr.Yoshinari lived in Hitachi city.
Hitachi Corp at that time had facilities in nationwide various places in a very large conglomerate.
And, the Kashima shrine had the branch in the whole country.

In the name written in the flag, there is a name such as Isotobi and Yashiro besides Yoshinari.
[FONT=&quot]They are very unusual names also in Japan.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It has been understood to concentrate on Tochigi Prefecture and to reside when I examine it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And, Kashima “small” Shrine and the Ungan-ji temple were found in Ohtawara city, Tochigi pref.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Additionally, there is a mine of Hitachi mine corp in the Tochigi prefecture of prewar days is I see.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is almost thought to be correct that Mr.Yochinari lived from these points in Ohtawara city.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kashima shrine and Ungan-ji existed, too, when a present map was seen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is necessary to inquire of the city office and the temple to examine more than this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The child and the grandchild might remain though it is long as the man of Hitachi says certainly at years of 70 years.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If the flag returns, They think that they surely long for father or grandfather.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I want you to look for the Mr.Yoshinari’s family decisively.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please let me help if there is a question combination in the city office.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Finally,the mistake was some found in the mail sent a little while ago though it apologized.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Name:Yoshida[/FONT][FONT=&quot]→[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Yoshinari[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Nippon mine corp[/FONT][FONT=&quot]→[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hitachi mine corp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Ungen-ji[/FONT][FONT=&quot]→[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ungan-ji[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Klaus Larsen wrote:[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr. Hiruma,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me find the flag's owners. You have been very helpful!

Below are some other findings other people have found:

"It is a good luck flag to a man.

His name is Yoshinari (surname) Tomekichi (first name)
This is the 3 vertical lines from top right hand corner

Yoshinari Tomekichi san had something to do with the Hitachi Mine Baseball Team.
4 lines at about 2 o’clock close to the red dot."

and another letter from Hitachi Corporation:

"This flag was sent to Mr. Tomekichi(or Ryuukichi) Yoshinari(or Kichinari) when he went to the war.
We tried to find any clue to the identity of the flag owner.
However, it's very difficult to find it after about 70 years have passed.

There is Nippon Mining Memorial Museum in Hitachi city.
It is a showcase of the history of Nippon Mining Holdings Group and the strong spirit of its founder.(The fouder was also the owner of Hitachi Mine.) Historically speaking, various extremely precious elements can be found inside of the exhibits of the museum including exhibits telling about the misery of war.

If possible, we think that you could donate the flag to this kind of museums as precious account of the war. "

My questions to you are: is there a Kashima shinto shrine close to Hitachi city where the baseball club was?

Thank you for your help. I really would like to return it to its rightful owners.

Thank you!!

Klaus Larsen[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Back