Canadian Tragedy WW1.

Del Boy

In WW1, 1918 in fact, 200 Canadian troops died in the UK at Larkhill Camp, of Influenza; they could not be repatriated in time. We were experiencing an epedemic.

This week a service is being held there to commemorate those Canadian soldiers.

Some 20 million people died from that out break of influenza more than died in WW1. The worst thing was it killed so many soldiers that survived the war and were waiting for demob

CANADIAN LOSES WW1

The postings on this site re Canadian losses in WW1 prompts me to tell you of one Canadian casualty that has become personal to my family & myself
In January 2004 we sadly lost our three yrs old granddaughter Hayley to Meningitis and her ashes were buried in the Devizes Road Cemetery Salisbury Wiltshire. Being ex RAF Police I am always interested in those graves marked with the distinctive stones of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. That day I found the grave of 34593 Private Edward Daniel CURTIN. 2nd General Hospital Canadian Army Medical Corp who died on 11th April 1915, aged 21yrs. I remember saying a prayer for the repose of his soul and thinking how this young man died so many thousands of miles from home and being a medic he may well have saved the lives of some of his comrades. Being a Police Officer I was curious to find out some more about him and my enquiries revealed that he was the son of Daniel and Violetta CURTIN of Hyman Street London Ontario,
Each time we visit my granddaughter's grave I make a point of checking that his grave is tidy and each year near Rememberance Sunday we place a cross with a poppy on our Hayley's grave and on his
I feel this is least we can do.

Last edited:
Back