Canadian Armed Forces Question

Euro

Hi, I'm 20 years old and am looking to join the Infantry this March/April. I have my application and everything filled out and ready to go.

I would like to hear from anyone that has done the BMQ, and just to tell me the positives and negatives that they experienced from it.

As for anyone that had a chance to try out or be a designated marksman, what kind of shooting score and etc did you get. What made you get picked out of the group?

My plan in to go at least 10 years in the military, I would like to work my way up the ranks but I only have my Ontario High School Diploma. What is the highest rank I can achieve?

Would the military help me go through university to be able to achieve higher ranks? Does it matter what you take in university?

Within the 10+ years I would like to do as many tours as I can, to fill my application for JTF2. I read that you can apply after 2 years of full time or 3 years of reserve. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you

the infantry trade is closed the last time i heard (2 month ago) since they have 1000 more people in the trade than they are allowed

No such job or appointment as a designated marksman in the canadian forces. Either u are a sniper or u just a rifleman. You can shoot "marksmen" on PWT(personal wep test) though but that just means u hit a high % of targets.

As for BMQ. Get in shape, be able to run 5 kilometer in 25 mins will make life a breeze in BMQ.
But for a infantrymen on Dp1 trade course you gotta run 5k in about 20 mins.

Also in BMQ DO everything the Staff tells you to the letter and if you don't 150% understand the instruction ASK since you can never get punished for asking but you will get raped if u mess up. I can't stress enough about doing everything to the letter because people always find shortcuts and the staff knows the tricks and will find out sooner or later. Oh and one last thing, request to go to Saint Jean if You can and enjoy the legal hookers in montreal on your weekends when you get them.

Last edited:
To add on what the Trooper here mentioned, don't try to fool any of your instructors, be it on BMQ, DP1, etc. They've been doing the job a lot longer than you have, and they do know all the tricks (mostly because they tried it themselves when they were young, dumb Recruits).

The CF does pay for university education, and although I won't say that it doesn't matter which degree you get...there's a lot of leeway. When you get to your unit, talk to your Standards section about university. They should be able to point you in the right direction for how to get that started.

As far as your question about what ranks you can achieve...don't worry about it for now. Sure, there's no problem in looking to the future, but concentrate on the here and now. That being said, except for certain trades, Non-Commissioned Members have no official education requirements for promotion. If you wanted to go Officer, you'd need to have at least a Bachelor's degree, but there are a few ways around that. For some better and more detailed answers, I'd suggest talking to your Career Manager once you get into a unit. They're the ones who quite literally hold your career in their hands.

Back