Can i join the military with a "minor" version of scoliosis?

JoeCarter

Hey, i've wanted to go into the British military for a while now and i'm about to start public services at college to make sure i have every chance of success.
A while ago now i was told i had a condition called scoliosis which is 28 degrees and lumber which shouldn't get any worse (it also has a 5 degree margine of error, so it can be anywhere between 28 - 23).
I've seen many threads which have a neggetive view on this but also some which say they have got in with a fairly high degree of scoliosis, i was just wondering what my chances are?

Joe carter, Age 16

I don´t know how similar Danish and British requirements are, but in Denmark you would be rejected.
I know it sounds hard, but there´s no reason to let you in when they have more applicants without disabilities
We have some Brits here somewhere, maybe they can give you a better answer. You can also contact your local Army careers office.

Hmmm :/. It dosn't stop me from doing ANY physical activities and wont get any worse but i don't know, maybe the curve will reduce? Hopefully some other british people with reply :d

Yes, but what you may not realize is that very few civilian physical activities come close to what you may be exposed to in the military.

Yes i do realise that. I know about carrying heavy weights etc on my back which i can deal with without any struggle, and this public services course which i do in college gets you ready to join the army / royal marines as well as the police. The thing is, scoliosis does not effect me and i'll try everything i can to decrease the curve because i really really want to join the army.

Just don't tell them let them find out that's their job , but right now its difficult to get into any Military except Boko Haram and perhaps ISIS .

Yeah I might just do that :-/ it's probably the best option considering it dosn't effect me, However I've read that you should bring a letter from your doctor to show you can do physical activities etc? I really want to enlist because being in the army is something I would genuinely enjoy doing :) thanks for the replies so far though! And I don't think ISIS is quite what I want where the military is concerned 0-0 .

Last edited:
Yeah the world isn't really fair to be honest. I ended up losing some of my hearing due to military service, but it was so minute that neither I nor anyone around me ever realized that I had hearing loss. But it was enough to put an end to my military career. Did it ever affect my job? Nope. Never did. But some POG officer made the decision that some unskilled 18 year old was what they wanted instead. I now spend my days making money and not giving a f***.

Yeah I might just do that :-/ it's probably the best option considering it dosn't effect me, However I've read that you should bring a letter from your doctor to show you can do physical activities etc? I really want to enlist because being in the army is something I would genuinely enjoy doing :) thanks for the replies so far though! And I don't think ISIS is quite what I want where the military is concerned 0-0 .

Good call, I struggle trying to keep one wife in check I imagine the obligatory 70 virgins would be real pain in the arse.

:)

You got an existing condition and lie about it or omit it from a govt application, the word "surprise" is going to take on a whole new meaning.
Don't know why you don't consult an actual recruiter instead of an internet peanut gallery.

Basically what MikeP said. Don't lie during the enlistment process. Once they find out, and the odds are much more likely they will than not, you'll have yourself a criminal record and your service will count for nothing.

Is there a Territorial Army unit near you? Try joining the TA first. I joined the TA after I left the RAF, had a lot of fun, the pay and annual bounty isn't bad either.

Back