C-4

--

August 4th, 2009  
Tovarish1

Topic: C-4

Why is C-4 called C-4? I know it's kinda a pathetic question but I still wanna know lol.
August 4th, 2009  
rattler

C, C2 and C3 had different contents of cyclotrimethylene trinitramine (RDX, a ring molecule that decomposes at 170 degrees centigrade and is fabricated through a reaction chain of (CH2)6N4 + 4HNO3 → (CH2-N-NO2)3 + 3HCHO + NH4+ + NO3), C4 contains around 90+% and almost no TNT

Rattler
August 4th, 2009  
Tovarish1

Oh I see. Isn't it plastic?
--
August 4th, 2009  
rattler

There are plastificators in it, it is basically the same as the UK PE-4, just the plastificators are different.

1.3 times the explosive power of TNT

Rattler
August 4th, 2009  
Tovarish1

As long as it shreds the enemy I guess that's all the military cares about rofl.
August 4th, 2009  
rattler

The "plastic" means you can form it, that is the advantage.

Rattler
August 4th, 2009  
Tovarish1

Yeah. Good explosive. Cheap but nice.
August 4th, 2009  
senojekips

C-4 stands for, Composition 4. it was the Fourth in a series of similar explosive mixtures adapted from the British standard plastic explosive used in WWII. Comprising of 88.3% RDX, 11.1% oily plasticiser and 0.6% Lecithin. the plasticiser contains mononitrotoluene, liquid dinitrotoluene, TNT,nitrocellulose and dimethylformamide.

C-4 has undergone several changes at various times to overcome brittleness at extreme low temperatures but it is basically the same mix in varying proportions down to 80% RDX + Plasticiser.

It is not "Cheap" in any sense of the word.

Source: Department of the Army and Air Force Technical Manual 9-1910 Order 11A-1-34
August 5th, 2009  
Tovarish1

Really? Used in WW2? I thought it's first war would've been like 'Nam or something. What I meant by cheap is doesn't cost too much. Correct me if I'm wrong. The piece of plastic isn't a joke.
August 17th, 2009  
gman992

You can also heat it to cook up your vittles in the field without it going off on you.