Brand New Tiger Tanks - Page 4

--

January 10th, 2012  
KevinTheCynic

G'Day all,
My first post to the threads and all that...
Just wanted to add to this: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I wouldn't mind betting that there is a crap load of old Soviet armour laying about somewhere.

My dad was in France after D Day. After VE day he mentioned there were untold French farmers fields filled with various German vehicles of all types, some scrap, much of it in good running order. He reckons someone somewhere made a lot of money out of those vehicles. I reckon he is right.
The French actually sold a number of Panzer IV and I think StuG IV vehicles to Syria in the 1950s where they eventually faced off against the Shermans of the Israelis. The French apparently made a bit of much needed cash by selling German war booty!

Cheers,
Kevin
January 11th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheCynic
G'Day all,
My first post to the threads and all that...
Just wanted to add to this: -

The French actually sold a number of Panzer IV and I think StuG IV vehicles to Syria in the 1950s where they eventually faced off against the Shermans of the Israelis. The French apparently made a bit of much needed cash by selling German war booty!

Cheers,
Kevin
Its a pity our blokes didn't benefit from it.
January 11th, 2012  
KevinTheCynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Its a pity our blokes didn't benefit from it.
It seems that the French were quite keen to keep the Panthers and Tigers that were left lying around France either for their own use or so that they could research new tank designs for the post-war world.

According to the Achtung Panzer website, Panthers served with the French 501st Tank Battalion until 1950

One of the first French post-war designs, the AMX-50 owes a lot to the Panther and was even powered by a Maybach engine.

Info on the AMX-50 can be found here: -
Google Translate version of page
Original French language page

Cheers,
Kevin
--
January 25th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Just finished re-watching Band of Brothers.
Apart from realising, again what an incredible production it was, and what a great telling of an awesome story it is, I took a closer look at the German vehicles.
The documentary on the making of, showed how they made the T-34 Tiger 1s, and the FV-432 PanzerIIIs and the Jagd Panthers.
But, I noticed some Marder IIIs tucked in there with the other back ground vehicles.
Anyone know where they came from? Are they originals, or replicas?
I know some Hetzers survived the war, they're based on the same chasis, and were featured in the films, Hanover Street and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
There were also some light armoured cars, Sdkfz 221/222s about and I think these are replicas based on Land Rover chasis.
February 5th, 2012  
KevinTheCynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Just finished re-watching Band of Brothers.
Apart from realising, again what an incredible production it was, and what a great telling of an awesome story it is, I took a closer look at the German vehicles.
The documentary on the making of, showed how they made the T-34 Tiger 1s, and the FV-432 PanzerIIIs and the Jagd Panthers.
But, I noticed some Marder IIIs tucked in there with the other back ground vehicles.
Anyone know where they came from? Are they originals, or replicas?
I know some Hetzers survived the war, they're based on the same chasis, and were featured in the films, Hanover Street and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
There were also some light armoured cars, Sdkfz 221/222s about and I think these are replicas based on Land Rover chasis.
Can't offer much help in regards to the Marders but a number of military vehicle collectors bought the decomissioned Swiss G13 tank hunter and refitted them as Hetzers. This is easily done as the G13 is simply an updated Hetzer anyway (the most noticeable difference being the fitting of a muzzlebreak and an antenna mount). Most of the Swiss machines were new builds from the Czech factory in 1946 but apparently the first 8 were original Hetzers refitted for the Swiss to G13 standard.
It's the G13 modified back to Hetzer appearance that often appears at military vehicle shows or with the German recreation groups so the Band Of Brothers props team probably had a far easier time finding them than they did sourcing the PzIII and Tiger!

Some images of the G13