Boots for march training - Page 4




 
--
 
February 23rd, 2012  
BritinBritain
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
If you want them you have to buy them, and they are not cheap!
I remember coming out of a church after a parade, the floor was wooden and we tore it up, only to go skidding across the paving outside!
And to think I threw mine away.
February 23rd, 2012  
LeEnfield
 
 
When I was in you wore what you were issued with and any variation and you would be facing either jankers or a spell in the cooler
February 24th, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
When I was in you wore what you were issued with and any variation and you would be facing either jankers or a spell in the cooler
That was technically still the case, but as everybody knew how bad the issue boots were, a blind eye was turned to what you wore on exercise.
The official boots were worn around camp and for parades, because thats all they were really good for.
In the Falklands, the British Army were wearing the same boots the Army wore in WWI. This caused a re-occurence of trench foot as they were inadequate for the conditions out there.
The Royal Marines, however were wearing non regulation boots and had no problems.
Alot of official issue kit came about as of a result of non standard stuff guys wore to make things more comfortable.
We all got Norwegian Army shirts on exercise, much better than the KF or GS issue.
The RSM had a big crackdown on them, until one of CSMs got him one as a birthday present, then they weren't a problem.
--
February 24th, 2012  
42RM
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
When I was in you wore what you were issued with and any variation and you would be facing either jankers or a spell in the cooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
The RSM had a big crackdown...
So this guy will be in Sh$t trouble, I guess.

February 24th, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
So this guy will be in Sh$t trouble, I guess.

The sprung a suprise inspection on us one day.
Any military kit that was not issue was confiscated.
They told us that unless we could provide a receipt to prove we had purchased the kit, it was forfit!
That is the closest ever I have seen guys come close to mutiny.
Some guys had spent a fortune on boots, Bergens, webbing, waterproofs, shelters, mess kit, etc.
In the end there was a "compromise", we were given the kit back but could not store it in our lockers.
A lot of NCOs had funny tasting brews for a while when they got us to make them a drink
February 24th, 2012  
BritinBritain
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
The sprung a suprise inspection on us one day.
Any military kit that was not issue was confiscated.
They told us that unless we could provide a receipt to prove we had purchased the kit, it was forfit!
That is the closest ever I have seen guys come close to mutiny.
Some guys had spent a fortune on boots, Bergens, webbing, waterproofs, shelters, mess kit, etc.
In the end there was a "compromise", we were given the kit back but could not store it in our lockers.
A lot of NCOs had funny tasting brews for a while when they got us to make them a drink
I got annoyed when someone wanted to confiscate my carpet slippers!

Us RAF chaps needed our comfort.
February 24th, 2012  
LeEnfield
 
 
When I was in the Middle East in the mid 1950's we would be issued with one canteen of water per day. Now the first thing you had to use for was to wash and shave the next thing was your morning brew just half mug full and that was your water supply for till the next day. Now when you are marching up and down mountains in temperatures of 100 degrees plus you missed your drink of water. It was about this time that you could get cans of beer, well you could fit two pint cans in each ammunition pouch and that is what we did despite orders to the contrary. Well in the finish there were so many happy paratroopers out in patrol they decided to issue us with a second water bottle, and then give instructions of the fate of any found on patrol with cans of beer rather than grenades
February 24th, 2012  
KV.
 
 
Back on topic.

As far as I recall, you will have to use the standard issue boots and uniform, for the selection process for the Danish SF.

I'm not 100% sure if these are still the issued boots, but Jolly 6010. They're Goretex safety boots and are about 1 kg each.

As for uniform, i believe it is standard M/84 BDU (kampuniform M/84).



KV.
February 24th, 2012  
PwNex
 
Since the thread is still going on, let me ask you guys another question:
- What's your point of view on Gore Tex?
When reading about it, people seem to be pretty satisfied with it as long as they have dry feet. But if they eventually get wet, they seem to hate Gore Tex because it takes forever to get the boots dry again.
Since my dream is Jęgerkorpset, I must expect to get wet feet.
Should I avoid Gore Tex? I'm pretty convinced I have to, unless you guys have other experiences.

- Thanks.

EDIT
Oh, and KV. I wrote a mail to Jęgerkorpset asking if they have any specific requirements for the boots.
Wouldn't be surprised if they have, but I can't imagine them use the 6010's.
February 25th, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwNex
Since the thread is still going on, let me ask you guys another question:
- What's your point of view on Gore Tex?
When reading about it, people seem to be pretty satisfied with it as long as they have dry feet. But if they eventually get wet, they seem to hate Gore Tex because it takes forever to get the boots dry again.
Since my dream is Jęgerkorpset, I must expect to get wet feet.
Should I avoid Gore Tex? I'm pretty convinced I have to, unless you guys have other experiences.

- Thanks.

EDIT
Oh, and KV. I wrote a mail to Jęgerkorpset asking if they have any specific requirements for the boots.
Wouldn't be surprised if they have, but I can't imagine them use the 6010's.

I would avoid them and use the standard Danish boots, of two reasons. Firstly, if you are in the Danish SF somewhere in the middle of nowhere, they will not run out and buy you new boots of a specific brand if you need new boots out there. Secondly, I have three pair of boots, two German and one American (Matterhorn) when I clean them inside it takes forever for them to dry
 


Similar Topics
SAS naked and bound in training
counter insurgency and jungle warfare school.
8 days of infantry training
Who here has done Flight Training?
What kind of training do you get?