Black Hawk Down Quotes - Page 2




 
--
 
April 30th, 2004  
rpgincoming
 

Topic: sgt. Eversmann


you guys seem to forget that Eversmann was given far more credit in the movie than he actually deserves, nothing against the guy he still rocks for bein a soldier. in the real battle his chalk had to return to base rather quickly because they had taken too many casualties. i dont remember if he even went back in after that, im going on the book which i read a year ago so correct me if im wrong.
April 30th, 2004  
rpgincoming
 
call me a stiffler guyontheright but most of the quotes on that website are close but incorrect, i guess ive just seen the movie too many times.
April 30th, 2004  
RnderSafe
 
 

Topic: Re: sgt. Eversmann


Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgincoming
you guys seem to forget that Eversmann was given far more credit in the movie than he actually deserves, nothing against the guy he still rocks for bein a soldier. in the real battle his chalk had to return to base rather quickly because they had taken too many casualties. i dont remember if he even went back in after that, im going on the book which i read a year ago so correct me if im wrong.
Who are you to comment on the "credit" MSG Eversmann deserves? Reading a book and watching a movie does not equate to being there, nor does it give you actual knowledge of what occured. It is best you comment on what you know, and not what you think you know. Despite "Black Hawk Down" being entertainment, it is still a very sore and open wound for many that experienced it. Save the armchair general routine for when you've walked in the same shoes as those there.

Quote:
hey sup guys, i believe the letter to his wife at the end was written by Griz Martin, it sounds like his voice,
The letter read at the end of the movie was written by MSG Gary Gordon to his wife (a very strong and admirable woman) Carmen.

RPG, did you know Tim? If not, how do you know what he sounded like to be able to recognise his voice?
--
May 1st, 2004  
rpgincoming
 
to start off, i commend all of the rangers in that mission, i just didn't like that Eversmann was built up to be a huge hero in the movie, I am sure he does not want to be credidted for something he did not do, plus i have been in active duty, I have never been in combat but the risk was always there. I had to enter houses in Bosnia to inspect for illegal weapons, where i could have easily been killed. plus when i said it sounded like Martins voice i meant the actor who portrayed Martin, and i dont think Shugart had kids. once again, i don not know everything as i was not there, nor have i interviewed the soldiers myself, I am merely trying to attempt an intelligent discussion.
May 1st, 2004  
rpgincoming
 
p.s did you guys like the quotes i wrote?
May 1st, 2004  
Redleg
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgincoming
p.s did you guys like the quotes i wrote?
Yep, nice ones.
Welcome to the forum by the way, but I wouldn't recomend you to upset RnderSafe any more, so please provide sources where appropriate, you don't want to see him when he's REAL angry..
May 1st, 2004  
RnderSafe
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgincoming
to start off, i commend all of the rangers in that mission, i just didn't like that Eversmann was built up to be a huge hero in the movie, I am sure he does not want to be credidted for something he did not do, plus i have been in active duty, I have never been in combat but the risk was always there. I had to enter houses in Bosnia to inspect for illegal weapons, where i could have easily been killed. plus when i said it sounded like Martins voice i meant the actor who portrayed Martin, and i dont think Shugart had kids. once again, i don not know everything as i was not there, nor have i interviewed the soldiers myself, I am merely trying to attempt an intelligent discussion.
MSG Eversmann deserves every bit of "credit" he has recieved by his peers and those that know what actually did happen. And you are correct, he is not an attention seeker, but he is also a MSG and deserves all of the respect befitting one, regardless of his involvement in the Mog. As I stated, do not use the movie, nor the book to make any judgements or conclusions on the events that occured. While both are nice thoughts, they are hardly completely accurate of the events nor the personal feelings between members.

While your service is appreciated, "the risk" being "always there" is not the same as enduring the risk.

I'm not trying to stifle any discussion on the mission but word your posts carefully. As I stated, this is still a very open and sore issue and despite it's recent fame, needs to be given the utmost respect as any war/conflict and those that served in them deserve.

I also suggest you report to the Welcoming forum to give us a brief introduction with a short bio on your military career.
May 2nd, 2004  
C/CPO
 
I love that movie. Even got a couple of the quotes as ma sig on another board.

"Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way"

best quote of em all I think.
May 3rd, 2004  
Bentley
 
Sadly as much as Ive wanted to see that movie I still havent had the chance.
May 3rd, 2004  
Italian Guy
 
 
indeed. BHD's my favorite war movie ever 8 and my mother's too, btw ). think i watched it more times than the director himself has. Maybe though FullMetal Jacket's just as good.