Bizarre case of helping Enemy

perseus

Is anyone aware of instances were a country 'officially' traded with their enemy during war, in terms of matériel?

The case I have just come across was in the middle of WW1. Evidently the British were short of optical equipment, but only German companies could supply large quantities of it in the quality required. Bizarrely the German government didn't only allow this trade but actually withdraw some soldiers from the line to meet the order, some of which was supplied ahead of schedule! Why? Germany had a desperate need for rubber, and a supply was allowed in, both traded through a neutral country Switzerland I think.

This information was mentioned from the 2011 book 'To End all Wars' by Adam Hochschild.

Sometimes I wonder whether these psychopaths actually enjoyed it!

Not quite the same, but I believe Krupp made the steel for British warships immediately prior to WW1.

Well in WWII on May 5,1945 in the Battle of Castle Itter. USA troops and "Renegade" German Troops fought against a Waffen-SS assault.
And that's as much as I know about that.

Well in WWII on May 5,1945 in the Battle of Castle Itter. USA troops and "Renegade" German Troops fought against a Waffen-SS assault.
And that's as much as I know about that.
Think Germans were used against the Soviets on Bornholm.

Back