Birthplace of the US Navy?

--

October 12th, 2010  
George

Topic: Birthplace of the US Navy?

A few Candidates
October 27th, 2010  
Yin717

Interesting. Have they discovered where it was born yet then?
October 27th, 2010  
Chukpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin717
Interesting. Have they discovered where it was born yet then?
Due to United States security concerns it can not be reveled!
--
October 27th, 2010  
Yin717

Sometimes I wonder if the US is too security conscious. Why is the revelation of the birthplace of the navy a state security issue?
October 27th, 2010  
Chukpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin717
Sometimes I wonder if the US is too security conscious. Why is the revelation of the birthplace of the navy a state security issue?
Can't tell you, its classified.

PS: Check WikiLeaks
October 27th, 2010  
Yin717

Very good. OK. You win that one.
April 23rd, 2011  
muscogeemike

Trivia: the first US Submarine (the Turtle) was commanded by an Army Sgt, Ezra Lee.
April 23rd, 2011  
Chief Bones

Topic: Mice and men .......

I have been accused of inventing the Navy in my backyard, when I launched my first rowboat (cause they sometimes refer to me as the Ancient Mariner) [when I am not in hearing range].

It is a base canard (lie) ...
  • it was on the bank of the lake where I put my rowboat (with its outboard motor), into the water, where my navy was launched..
I ended up creating a green water Navy .. but .. only in my own mind.

I did end up patrolling the lake for underwater vessels (they were called fish).

BTW - When I retired from the US Navy, I considered walking inland with an oar on my shoulder, and settling in the first city/hamlet where someone asked me what the object on my shoulder was.

Ah well, mice and men guys ... mice and men.
May 31st, 2013  
Hutchie

I'm gonna say Boston around 1780. Most of it was sunk by the British Navy or scuttled in the Penobscot bay and in the Penobscot river at the end of the attack on Castine, Maine.
June 24th, 2013  
George

Most likely an under-researched situation. What was the earliest date that a ship was bought/comandeereed/captured for use against the British by a Commitee of Safety, new government of a Colony, or simular group. Potential tourism dollars at stake for who ever can document being the creation point of what would eventually be the Continental Navy/US Navy.