March 5th, 2005  
03USMC

Petersburg-Battle of the Crater.
March 5th, 2005  
chewie_nz

bay of pigs
March 5th, 2005  
Zucchini

The Battle of the Crater - siege of Petersburg, Virginia.
--
March 5th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
bay of pigs
Thats a winner. But the Cuban Expats were misled in the belief JFK would provide the air cover and assistance he promised, so I think that rests sqaurely on him.
March 5th, 2005  
MontyB

How about Diem Bien Phu.

I mean what the hell were the French thinking.
March 5th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
bay of pigs
Thats a winner. But the Cuban Expats were misled in the belief JFK would provide the air cover and assistance he promised, so I think that rests sqaurely on him.
yep, in general just a big bolloxey mess
March 6th, 2005  
The Other Guy

[Already Mentioned] Custer's last stand.
March 6th, 2005  
AussieNick

Napoleon's march on Russia. Because he was the "original" one to get done in by Russia's winter and huge distance... Hitler just didn't read up on French history enough
March 6th, 2005  
Zucchini

The Bay of Pigs was a blunder, but I think it is a red herring to suggest lack of air support is what doomed it.

The plan hinged on picking up widespread support from the Cuban people. That was proven to be naive, and the 1500-man force had no chance of succeeding without significant ground support.

When the US finally did send in planes, four pilots were killed. We did not have the the type of dominance over the sky that we enjoy now.
March 6th, 2005  
Charge 7

I'm surprised that Chewie or other ANZAC folks didn't mention Gallipoli. A tremendous loss of lives and ships that did not accomplish one single thing decisive in WWI and was the scene of error after error after error. Nobody can question the valor of the troops, but the generals involved and Churchill who promoted it made a very grievious error indeed.