Big Bang experiment ready to go

A black hole? Hell,... they didn't have to spend all that money, we've got one at the end of our street, I've been telling the council about it for weeks.

Well that's just great isn't it? Why can't they just put this on hold and try it on the moon or something? Or better yet, just don't do it. Who gives a crap anyway?

Thousands of particle physicists and millions of other curious scientists as well as private citizens for starters... And no, there won't be a black hole that'll suck the Earth and kill everything on it. The international scientific community agrees on this and I'd say let the real scientists determine the safety of a science experiment. People who think they'll be sucked by a black hole and die horribly are those who'd flunk a middle school physics test and have absolutely no idea what the experiment is about. We should all practice the art of KNOWING something before we start developing opinions about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_the_Large_Hadron_Collider

I for one am looking forward impatiently to many important answers that this experiment could provide. Especially how matter obtains mass and why gravity is fundamentally weaker than the other forces.

Good on ya! Interesting week coming up. I've got some other stuff on it, I'll try to post while the topic is still current.

Keep rolling guys, while we still have the chance. Where the hell's TOG?

Thousands of particle physicists and millions of other curious scientists as well as private citizens for starters... And no, there won't be a black hole that'll suck the Earth and kill everything on it. The international scientific community agrees on this and I'd say let the real scientists determine the safety of a science experiment. People who think they'll be sucked by a black hole and die horribly are those who'd flunk a middle school physics test and have absolutely no idea what the experiment is about. We should all practice the art of KNOWING something before we start developing opinions about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_the_Large_Hadron_Collider

I for one am looking forward impatiently to many important answers that this experiment could provide. Especially how matter obtains mass and why gravity is fundamentally weaker than the other forces.

I agree it sounds interesting although I am a little iffy on it taking 30 years to build the thing, imagine the size decrease and performance increases they could get from a more modern piece of equipment not to mention that what 3 billion pounds in technology bought you in 1978 would probably cost you less than a million pound today.

I have some great stuff on this with some great photos of the biggest scientic instrument ever built but I have been trying to post it without success. I cannot describe it effectively. It is called The Large Hadron Collider at the CERN lab in Switzerland. There is a rap on You Tube (from the lab )- The Large Hadron Rap, half a million hits so far- the science is good.

It is a European effort. Cost £10 Billion, but with many spin offs; for instance, establishing if there are more dimensions. Gravity, why it is so, so much the very weakest of the forces. Etc.etc.

Sorry about that,we could have chewed it over, but perhaps it will all explode this week.:smile:

Professor Otto Rossler fears it may create a devastating quasar - a mass of energy fuelled by black holes, inside the earth. Nothing for at least 4 years, then a light ray will be spotted coming out of the Indian Ocean at night, unexplained. Then, a similar beam of particles coming out of the soil on the other side of the planet. As the spinnig top quasar devoured the world from within, two jets from it would grow, and catastrophes such as earthquakes and tsunamis would occur at the points they emerged.
The weather will change, wiping out life, and very soon the whole planet will be eaten in a massive scenario - if you could watch it from the moon. A Biblical Armageddon. Even cloud and fire, as it says in the Bible.

Dr Walter Wagner warns that it might ultimately turn the Earth into a super-nova.

So there you go -that's all folks.

Last edited:
I have some great stuff on this with some great photos of the biggest scientic instrument ever built but I have been trying to post it without success. I cannot describe it effectively.

It is a European effort. Cost £10 Billion, but with many spin offs; for instance, establishing if there are more dimensions. Gravity, why it is so, so much the very weakest of the forces. Etc.etc.

Sorry about that,we could have chewed it over, but perhaps it will all explode this week.:smile:

What is the problem with posting it?

Well, they're not going to be colliding any particles yet. The entire thing has been cooled down to -271.25 °C (only very slightly warmer than absolute zero) in the past few weeks and they've successfully tested several beam insertion operations and synchronization systems. This week's test will attempt to make the beams go all the way around the entire circumference of the LHC and they'll do some calibration work before the REAL good stuff (collison tests and the end of the world :-D).

You can watch it live here: http://webcast.cern.ch/

The Large Hadron Collider is the largest and most complex scientific instrument ever built and the highest energy particle accelerator in the world. The accelerator is located 100 m underground and runs through both French and Swiss territory.

Year 2008 marks the culmination of 20 years of work by physicists, engineers, technicians and support staff from over 80 different countries.

Hell yeah! After millenia of wars, the humanity should be congratulated for such a great (and expensive, peaceful and scientifically significant) joint undertaking!

Keep rolling guys, while we still have the chance. Where the hell's TOG?
I was in school, give me a break :) I don't live here, you know ;)

I have an even better one. Let's attack the planet Neptune and bring it freedom and democracy.
Yes! Forget the astroid coming to blow us to smithereens, Neptune needs Democracy! :lol:

Do they have any oil?
Not sure... but they have weapons of mass voice pitch changing!

I'm not sure, but I know they've got a lot of hydrogen and helium. :camo:
Helium is a lot of fun...

(Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week! Try the veal.)

What is the problem with posting it?

Probably something to do with my limited computor literacy. I just could not take a link from this large double spread in a daily; I tried everything i know (ha-ha).
Are they able to block some items? The address bar registered blue, I copied, but could not get the paste. I gave up in disgust as is my wont; even tho' my youngest son owns one of our country's great web agencies, number 31 and rising at the last count, I simply refuse to ask for assistance. (And last week he told me to forget Sarah Palin because she is a creationist ; he says I don't even know what that entails! Damn Imperial College physics cheek. Ha!)

Anyway, I was left up the creek without a paddle when I wanted to post the link. I could not even get it onto Microsoft Word.

Hey-ho, Sorry guys. Incidentally, first collision expected in about ten days and first reports in about six months, followed by years of same perhaps. Definitely a marathon. Hawkins is very excited said that millions of collisions of this type take place everyday in space. He hopes for the unlocking of the mysteries of the big bang.

Last edited:
I have an even better one. Let's attack the planet Neptune and bring it freedom and democracy.
"Attack" is such a harsh word. Lets try and use "commandeer." It's less forceful sounding. :D

...and I really do hope they know what they are doing. I don't like the dark. And Black Holes are are dark as they get. (I would assume anyway). :roll:

Probably something to do with my limited computor literacy. I just could not take a link from this large double spread in a daily; I tried everything i know (ha-ha).
Are they able to block some items? The address bar registered blue, I copied, but could not get the paste. I gave up in disgust as is my wont; even tho' my youngest son owns one of our country's great web agencies, number 31 and rising at the last count, I simply refuse to ask for assistance. (And last week he told me to forget Sarah Palin because she is a creationist ; he says I don't even know what that entails! Damn Imperial College physics cheek. Ha!)

Can you just post it as a text link as it sounds like it is too long a link for most browsers, with a text string people could just cut and paste it in sections themselves.

I am also certain that your son could sort this out though as any man with that lucid a grasp on Palin clearly is a man to be reckoned with.

Back