UK 75, 17pdr, 77: http://gva.freeweb.hu/weapons/british_guns5.html
USSR 76: http://gva.freeweb.hu/weapons/soviet_guns5.html
USSR 85: http://gva.freeweb.hu/weapons/soviet_guns7.html
USA 75, 76: http://gva.freeweb.hu/weapons/usa_guns5.html
February 2nd, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer
i really wasn't sure if i should include IS2 in the overall impact category, i knew that IS2 was superior to tiger and a bit inferior to tiger 2, so i used wiki and found out that 3800 IS2 (i'm not sure if all during the war but i may assume that most were build during the war cause the russians switched to IS3 production after the war) tanks were built and only around 1350 tigers which convinced me to make this choice.
plus if i may add some interesting reading (an example how russians can cancel advantages of great tanks ) :
As far as the IS2 being inferior to the King Tiger there is a little bit of data around that says that may not be accurate as there was a few battles around Budapest where the two tanks met almost exclusively and in each case the IS2 came off best.

Had the war gone on a little longer to give the IS2 a decent operational lifetime I would agree with those who rate it at the top of the list but given that it never really made an impact I still rate the Tiger I as the best heavy tank of WW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Well, by the time Panther 2 would be out there the allies would have had the M-26, the Centurion, and the T-44-100.
That is a fair comment although Panther II prototypes were already made so I suspect it would have been in production by the end of 1945 and to my mind the 122mm gun it carried was a step up over the other tanks listed.
February 2nd, 2009  
SHERMAN

As I remember Panther II was to carry an 88 mm.
--
February 2nd, 2009  
viewer

yep, 88 mm KwK L/71
March 14th, 2009  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
As I remember Panther II was to carry an 88 mm.

Hasn't this poor dead horse been beat enough, lol.

Hey Sherman!
March 16th, 2009  
gotcha1234

As far as I know it was the pantherII/LeopardII.
May 9th, 2009  
Bror Jace

surfed in here from a Google search. Lot of interesting info and opinions

Unfortunately, people missed the best tank of WW2:

The Comet. British 17pdr gun (OK, the 77mm version) and a much better chassis than the Sherman firefly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_tank

The Panther was an incredible design that scores well in mobility, protection and firepower but was too unreliable, especially its transmission.

The Tiger I was getting a bit dated by the end of the war and while still good, could not be considered "the best" any longer.

The King Tiger is one of the most over-hyped tanks of the war. Why does everyone think this is great ... because it is so big? Brilliant gun ... but it was simply too heavy, expensive and unreliable to be effective. I think they could have made 3 Panzer IVs for each King Tiger ... and they would have been much more useful in holding off hoardes of Shermans and T-34s.

Best tank destroyer? I'm tempted to say the Russian SU-100. The 100mm gun is a sleeper among WWII aficionados but was one of the best of the war (just behind the Tiger II's 88mm). It was actually in production until 1979. Penetration (according to Wiki) was 185mm at 1,000 meters. Wow!
May 9th, 2009  
Bror Jace

There was outrageous some Stars & Stripes propaganda posted on page 5 of this thread … and I wanted to comment on it:

” George S. Patton's 3rd Army since late August has knocked out 1,988 tanks while losing 1,044 tanks.”

Our armored forces had a 2:1 kill ratio over the Germans? Ha! I don’t believe this for a second. In typical engagements, we lost 3-4 Shermans taking out a single Panther or Tiger. Perhaps when you factor in the number of tanks taken out by P-47s, Typhoons, etc … you can arrive at those numbers.

”3rd Army tank and TD men destroyed 515 enemy tanks and 302 pieces of wheeled artillery … 3rd Army losses during that period were at 168 tanks and TDs and 91 artillery pieces.”

That 2:1 kill ratio has improved to 3:1! LOL! See above.

” … the 3rd's kill for the entire period were 718 Mark VIs, the enemy's vaunted Tiger Tank.”

Interesting … since total production for the Tiger I was just over 1,200 tanks and most probably went to the Eastern Front. More nonsense inflated propaganda.

” M-36 TD had knocked out German Tigers at distances up to 4,000 yards.”

Hmmm … sounds like more propaganda from the Iraqi Information Minister! A 4,000 yard shot is 12,000 feet … OVER 2 MILES!!! I suppose it’s possible … but for WWII fire control and a 90mm gun? That’s an amazingly lucky shot … like a hole-in-one in golf. The longest tank-to-tank kill was performed by a British Challenger I on an Iraqi tank during Desert Storm … 5.1km distant or just over 3 miles.
May 9th, 2009  
SHERMAN

Actually I am glad this has come up again...Comming back to my ast post here, the T-44/85 was already being produced in late 1944. This tank was armored to a maximum of 120mm, had the same 85mm as the T-34, a top speed of 53 Km/h....In short, it is a very improved T-34/85mm...I dont know if it was the best but surely had it been used in combat(which it was not) it would fare very well.
May 9th, 2009  
MontyB

Did the T-44 actually see combat though?

I rate it alongside the Comet as as arriving too late to make any real difference.

As far as making 3 Pz-IVs out of a King Tiger while I wont dispute this I don't see the relevance as those Pz-IVs would have been horribly outclassed by the allied tanks that were coming on stream, I am convinced they would have been better off scraping the Pz-IV in 1943 and concentrating on Panthers and large numbers of Jagdpanzer-IVs which were a lot faster and cheaper to produce and could be upgunned and armoured as needed.