The Best Cold War Bomber? - Page 4

View Poll Results :The Best Bomber of the Cold War?
B-29 1 6.25%
Vulcan 3 18.75%
B-52 Stratofortress 7 43.75%
Victor 0 0%
Valiant 0 0%
B-2 Spirit 3 18.75%
B-1 Lancer (AKA "Bone&quot 2 12.50%
B-47 Stratojet 0 0%
B-36 Peacemaker 0 0%
Russian: Bison 0 0%
Russian: Blackjack 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

--

November 21st, 2004  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I'd say B-52.
It's still useful today after about 50 years of service. How can you say that's not the bst bomber?
Also, unless I am mistaken in my facts, the B-52 has seen more battle action than any other heavy bomber that is still flying today.
November 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

It's got to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Quote:
I'd say B-52.
It's still useful today after about 50 years of service. How can you say that's not the bst bomber?
Also, unless I am mistaken in my facts, the B-52 has seen more battle action than any other heavy bomber that is still flying today.
November 24th, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
I'd say B-52.
How about an aircraft with 55 years service
The English Electric Canberra.
So good, even the USAF used it (Martin B-57)
Not only that , it was the only none US aircraft to be used over the combat zone in the recent Afgan war, at the special request of the USAF( Photo-recon)
Also saw service in the Iraq war.
Still in service today 8)
--
May 15th, 2005  
AGE_USAF

I have to say the B-52. It will outlast the B-2 (which is not a cold war era bomber by the way) Cold war era lasted until Nov 1991. The first B-2 was delivered in 1994 I believe.
May 15th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Topic: Re: The Best Cold War Bomber?

The poll is biased. 7 American bombers and 3 British bombers, but only 2 "Russian" Soviet ones?
May 15th, 2005  
Shadowalker

The americans did have lots of different types of bombers, but i agree possibly other russian bombers could of been included such as the 'Badger' 'Bear' and 'Blinder'. the 'Bear' should of been included as it was the most successful soviet bomber design even though it is propeller driven and more than 50 years old. But despite this the B-52 is the most successful cold war bomber.
May 16th, 2005  
bushpig1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by e=mc2
The B1 hands down should be the answer here.

This plane scared the living Bejesus out of them. It is specifically mentioned in Arms treaties and limited to only INTERNAL payloads by treaty. Actually it is already a so called "Stealth" plane and a flying electronic monster capable of low level high speed flight. The former Soviet Republics/Union/Warsaw pact had little to counter it until the Cold War was over. SA10/12 didn't exist then and a B-2 either, but the B1B and SA-6 did, and the USSR knew that this plane was threat numero UNNO and most definetly capable of overcomming their IADS through most of the 80s. This plane probably drove a lot of the ADA upgrades they undertook.
Amen...it gets my vote despite the fact that I love the Russkies simplicity of design in their aircraft. If it don't improve the performance or capabilities of the craft, it was dropped. Gotta love it.
May 16th, 2005  
Arclight

Quote:
Originally Posted by e=mc2
The B1 hands down should be the answer here.

This plane scared the living Bejesus out of them. It is specifically mentioned in Arms treaties and limited to only INTERNAL payloads by treaty. Actually it is already a so called "Stealth" plane and a flying electronic monster capable of low level high speed flight. The former Soviet Republics/Union/Warsaw pact had little to counter it until the Cold War was over. SA10/12 didn't exist then and a B-2 either, but the B1B and SA-6 did, and the USSR knew that this plane was threat numero UNNO and most definetly capable of overcomming their IADS through most of the 80s. This plane probably drove a lot of the ADA upgrades they undertook.
I have the SA-10 listed as being introduced in 1978. Not sure how well they integrated the system in their air defense network, though.
May 17th, 2005  
AGE_USAF

The B-1 was designed for a one-strike role during the cold war and has only recently been outfitted for use as a conventional bomber. The B-52 will no doubt outlast it too. B-52 hands down.
May 19th, 2005  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/Commander
How many B-2s have been shot down? 0? That makes it the best bomber...zero attrition rate.
Ever seen one of those in flight?
I saw one at the NAS Oceana air show do a flyby over my house at tree top level, only reason I saw it was i looked up when I heard a low almost silent woosh