Best Assault Rifle today?

--

September 14th, 2012  
jayraptor

Topic: Best Assault Rifle today?

Out of a sudden especially ever since the war in Afghanistan by US, several small arms manufacturers rushed to come up with new design assault rifle made of new lightweight material that will not absorb heat. This is answer to American troops that could not even hold on to their metal rifles, the M-16A2 and M-4A1 that were so hot that would burn skins severely when operated in Afghanistan and Iraq.

So which assault rife is best today? Using standard Nato 5.56mm x 45mm, 7.62mm x 51mm or Russians 5.45mm? The new experimental rounds such as rare 5.8mm, seems less practical as they'll have to replace the entire ammo inventory should they need to use the special rifles in large scale.

AN-94 Abakan, AK-107/108 from RUssia
or
ACR, XM8, M-101 from US? SCAR and FN P2000 from Belgium?

So many new rifles that I could hardly remember each and every of them.
September 14th, 2012  
m551sheridan

note weapon---

September 16th, 2012  
jayraptor

Aw come on, m551sheridan, thanks for the joke but this forum seems quiet. Why can't users on this website be a little more active like on Defence Talk and F-16.net? It is up to you guys whether to improve this forum.

It's just like you happen to born in a country that has lower GDP and status than its neighbor. You could either:
1) build up your home country make it a better place even beating your neighboring country in all aspect
2) OR abandon your homeland and migrate to modern neighbor and live there as immigrant

I would choose option 1. Since this forum is more user friendly, why not we make it a better place. Most of us won't have chance to tryout all the new assault rifles, I say:
- FN2000 seems most futuristic.
- SCAR-L seems powerful enough
- ACR seems threatening and good in overall
- the upgraded new rifles based on M16 and M4, can't remember their new designation, seems practical enough with new heat-sink and anti-heat material.
--
September 20th, 2012  
DGMoura

Scar-h gen3
mk14 mod 2 ebr
imbel ia2 7.62 (the 5.56 is awful)
g36 series.
September 20th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

The best assault rifle in my opinion was the British built L1A1, it was very accurate, reliable and hit hard. I don't like the AK47, its a spiteful round, I hate the bullpup design such as the SA80, despite everything being in the wrong place, it can't be fired off the weak shoulder without ripping your teeth out.
October 5th, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk

The best assault rifle must be the weapon, which is an extension of the soldier carrying it
October 6th, 2012  
hawky94

So long as the feckin' thing works... then it's the best. But, Brig is right. The rifle is just an extension of the soldier carrying it, the skill of the soldier is what the weapon's proficiency is dependent upon.
October 18th, 2012  
Supostat

Despite of being old as hell and not passing modern requirements of ergonomics, AKM(S) and AK(S)-74(M) with N - type rail on the reciever still are good enough to compete with other, more `modern` assault rifles. M-16AX, withot doubt, is more accurate, but reliability is much important feature.

G-36 series also are pretty good and reliable, however, I have heard about incidents when its receiver fractured when weapon was accidentally dropped over the pavement or rocks.
November 19th, 2012  
modplod

Just look at what most PMC's in Iraq and Afghanistan choose for their personal weapon -

The venerable Kalashnikov AK47

Without doubt the best assault rifle of all time in terms of reliability, ease of manufacture, and longevity (robustness).

I few friends were given a variety of weapons to choose from (G3, M4, SA80 etc) and nearly all went for a AK47.

In my book that speaks volumes.
November 19th, 2012  
Froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by modplod
Just look at what most PMC's in Iraq and Afghanistan choose for their personal weapon -

The venerable Kalashnikov AK47

Without doubt the best assault rifle of all time in terms of reliability, ease of manufacture, and longevity (robustness).

I few friends were given a variety of weapons to choose from (G3, M4, SA80 etc) and nearly all went for a AK47.

In my book that speaks volumes.
Mechanically the AK-47 is a piece of ****. To keep manufacturing costs down and withstand the harsh conditions of the Russian front lines, the moving parts in the AK-47 were designed to keep working in muddy icy conditions so the clearances of the moving parts are very loose.The fact that it's a piece of **** is the very reason why it's so reliable, affordable, easy to use, and popular.