Best Assault Rifle today? - Page 2

--

November 19th, 2012  
NP8901

The tradeoff for its durability is its performance; the AK-47 is terribly inacurrate at intermediate-long ranges, which negates its purpose as an assault rifle. Overall the AK-47 is a piece of crap. You can build a house with an AK-47, but you can put a round through a flea´s ass at 300 yards with an M-16.
November 20th, 2012  
modplod

It speaks volumes that PMC's nearly always pick the AK47 as their personal weapon.

Russian made rifles are premium quality compared to inferior Chinese made licenced copies of same.

FACT - The M16 is has a bad name among many people who have used them. The M4 has a much better reputation.
November 20th, 2012  
NP8901

What`s your military background?
--
November 20th, 2012  
Tankboy

He is an expert on modern Tanks, and assault riffles.
November 21st, 2012  
BritinAfrica

I do agree that the Chinese copies of Soviet weapons are very poor. However, some are better then others, the copy of the Colt 1911 45ACP is very good, while the copy of the Tokarev is very poor. It all depends in which factory they are built.

I agree that the AK47 is not very accurate, but it is extremely reliable and idiot proof. The Israeli Galil is based on the AK47 and the South African R4 and R5 are licence built copies. The R4's and R5's performed flawlessly during the border war with Angola.

Personally I don't like the AK47, it horrendous to use, the 7.62x39 is spiteful to fire.

The best assault rifle I have ever used is the British built L1A1 (or SLR)
November 21st, 2012  
Tankboy

Now ur talking.
November 21st, 2012  
modplod

NP9801,

If you wish to know more about me (yawn), then simply PM me and I shall be happy to oblige. Suffice on open forum to say I'm a retired MDP officer and former TA. I'm living in Banjul, The Gambia. I became tired of living in a country which treats it's indiginous population as third class citizens. These days I prefer somewhere where it doesn't snow. Here I live well in the sun.

The groups of PMC's I met in Iraq and Helmand all picked the AK47 as their personal weapon. They had a variety of modern weapons to choose from including M16's, M4's, G3's etc... They did this for very good reason - the ammunition was plentiful, the rifles were bulletproof reliable, the 7.62 round is devastating and there were plently available (Russian made). It's the kind of weapon that is useful for short range "spray and pray".

MDP officers serving there (yes that's right, MOD Gunslingers in these theatres), were issued with SA80's and a Berreta sidearm. We were'nt given the oppertunity of choosing other weapons. If I was I would have picked the AK47 like most PMC's. My experience of rifles/carbines is limited to G3, MP5, Sterling SMG, SA80 and most recently the MP7.

Back home I have a FAC (pest control - bunnies mainly) and legally own a variety of sporting rifles including an old WW1 (1915) Lee Enfield .303

My real passion is the Great War (1914-1919).

I joined this forum to have discussions (and occasional grown up disagreements) with people about the military not to have a "how far you can piss contest". There are far too many forums where prolific posters (often backed up by their online buddies) bully people with an alternative opinion to their own (bigots).

ARSE is full of foul mouthed bullies perhaps you can join up too?

Those of you with operational military experience deserve due respect in my book but that's not to say you know everything or that your opinion is worth more than others. This kind of attitude stops others without mil service posting their views. Surely everyone's opinion is valid including civilians with a genuine interest in the military? Besides, I met plenty useless twats on ops. The fact someone has mil/ops background doesn't neccessarlly equate to mil expert. I worked alongside many NATO soldiers/police who shouldn't have been given a bloody water pistol let alone a lethal weapon!

I don't constantly dine out on my pedigree like some of YOU appear to. You aint no better than anyone else here - everyones opinion counts in the (Wild) West.

Yeeee ha
November 21st, 2012  
Capt Frogman

I actively avoid ARRSE for the same reasons, and because it full of NCO's/pongo's!
November 21st, 2012  
Tankboy

Oooow, sorry we're not worthy, your immenseness,
November 21st, 2012  
modplod

I guess I'm pretty opinionated about most things (just ask the Mrs.). All I seek is friendly chat with similar people. Lets not get too hung up on pedigrees and percieved reputations, it isn't important in this place.

Besides I was a Field Marshal in the TA = RESPECT please!

This ex-squaddies forum (AARSE alternative) is also looking for desperate members - PERFECT GIRLS

Yeeha.