Before Basic

FULLMETALJACKET

MilForum Bad Apple
What happens leading up to Basic, like do they call you and say you need to be ready and pick you up? or what? and what are you issued? how much notice?

Thanks, i wasn't sure, im still in high school so i was just trying to get an idea of what its like the day you leave for basic.

Before basic try preparing your self, go out for runs every day gradually increasing the length of your run, or arrange to visit a local gym to build up your strength and stamina, when you start training it then wont come as such shock.

FULLMETALJACKET said:
Thanks, i wasn't sure, im still in high school so i was just trying to get an idea of what its like the day you leave for basic.

I think this is what you were asking...

My girlfriend took me to the Recruiters station. They took me to the "overnight hotel" and the next morning at 0 - dark - 30, we boarded a bus to the airport.

From the airport, I flew to Louisville and waited in the USO lounge with others, while a bus came to pick us up. The bus took us to Fort Knox...

and thats when the fun began...

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/alb...hich was stopped out of my first weeks wages.

FULLMETALJACKET said:
thanks, that is what i wanted to know. the overnight hotel is what? i would try to make friends in lounge. :lol:

For me it will (Was supposed to be :cen: ) Pretty much the same as when you went to MEPS for you physicals. Go to the Recruiting station before 5pm, they give you a little pep talk (When you enlist the talk is don't stutter, they aren't cops and can not bring any charges against you for lying, it is ok to lie a little so long is it is not life threatening) check into the Hotel by 9pm, get a voucher for a free supper and free breakfast from Perkins (or whatever ends up being right across the street from your hotel), wake up call at 5:15am, one hour for personal hygene/breakfast, 6:15am the shuttle arrives to take us to MEPS. From there the people leaving for basic go to their respective Liason Officer to be sworn in and receive their plain ticks, etc. After that a bus took them to the airport.

Damien435 said:
FULLMETALJACKET said:
thanks, that is what i wanted to know. the overnight hotel is what? i would try to make friends in lounge. :lol:

For me it will (Was supposed to be :cen: ) Pretty much the same as when you went to MEPS for you physicals. Go to the Recruiting station before 5pm, they give you a little pep talk (When you enlist the talk is don't stutter, they aren't cops and can not bring any charges against you for lying, it is ok to lie a little so long is it is not life threatening) check into the Hotel by 9pm, get a voucher for a free supper and free breakfast from Perkins (or whatever ends up being right across the street from your hotel), wake up call at 5:15am, one hour for personal hygene/breakfast, 6:15am the shuttle arrives to take us to MEPS. From there the people leaving for basic go to their respective Liason Officer to be sworn in and receive their plain ticks, etc. After that a bus took them to the airport.

how luxurious, my meps experience went something like being picked up at 4am from home getting there by 5 for that ASvaB test, being picked up by 5pm, next day going again at 4am being picked up at 5pm to sign the papers and whatnot. didnt get to go anywhere overnight and get anything for free.

gear issue is in boot camp like day 1-5. all that admin stuff is done then too, if you go USMC dont expect to sleep for a couple nights, they keep you sleep deprived for quite a bit.

In USMC Boot camp it will be wake up, dress for PT or the days activity. Go to chow, then do whatever training you need to do. Bascially it is just like a 0500 - 2100 job. Do what you are told when you are told to do it -as fast as you possibly can as loud as you possibly can - and wait for the day you get your Eagle Globe and Anchor. It is a very demanding time period. It is also an experience I would not give up for the world.

Here is a short version of a training schedule for you: http://www.usmchq.com/usmcresources/trainingcycle.htm

basic issue

When you get to your training base, you will receive a partial issue of a few uniform items, just enough to make you look like a soldier. Then you are given millions of mental and physical tests. About the time you are assigned to your training company, you are given the haircut and all the rest of your basic clothing issue. What field gear you need is issued by the unit then.

Right now im trying to get as much info as possible, i just bought three books on the topic, also is there anyone who has gone through the crucible?

Don't worry about the crucible. Worry about the training and knowledge you will need and encounterr before the crucible.

Back