Bee Shop Files: The Dihydrogen Oxide Caper

Mark Conley

Its not that the military cant be fun...:)

One year, we had a rash of chemical spills and material accidents at the Air Force base i called home for 14 years. Way too many. seemed like everyone in the office started dreading hearing the phone ring at or around 1530 on a nice friday afternoon, which meant the weekend was going to be shot to hell once more for the unlucky holder of the on-call keys...:crybaby:

except one man. this officer lived for responses. soon as that phone rang, ole bullet couldnt get to the call fast enough. it was a little frightening, to say the least. but what we really couldnt stand was that cheerful, we are going to win it all attitude the man had. so, the high enlisted lords (i wasnt one of them, im affraid) planned a little plan.

one day, the call came in. a big spill was in progress at one of the bases most important buildings. gallons of di-hydrogen oxide all over the place. Come quickly as you can or all may be lost! and our fearless leader grabbed the closest mid-level NCO's (me and another un-lucky soul)to respond to it. and away we went.

we got to the site with our meters and equipment and stuff. funny how there wasnt any fire department, or by standers around the area. Instead, all that was there was a big poster. On it, written in big letters was "Greetings. Heres the Di-Hydrogen Oxide we promised you." on the floor under the poster was water. lots of water. good ole H2O, or di-hydrogen oxide as it can be called. standing by was a large mop bucket, and in the bucket was a mop with the officers name printed on a tag hanging from the handle.

Needless to say, i got to push the handle of that mop a lot that day. The other NCO pulled rank on me (two months senority) to operate the bucket. The officer just stood around and supervised.

it pays to open a hazardous materials book every now and then..:p

Last edited:
Back