Battleship is not obsolete - Page 7




View Poll Results :Is the battleship obsolete?
Battleship is obsolete 33 51.56%
Battleship is not obsolete 27 42.19%
I don't know and I don't care 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

 
--
 
March 19th, 2010  
Chukpike
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
Ever hear of MMCM Hummell? the U.S.S.bainbridge was his second to last ship he retired in 70
No I was a sonar tech in Weapons Department and he was in Engineering, plus gone over a year when I got there.
March 21st, 2010  
wolfen
 
then you missed the best mechanic the Bainbridge ever had, my dad was soo good that even as a conventional MM him and Rickover crawled through the bilges, and the reactor room before she was launched just making sure all the welds were right. not bad for a conventional machinist mate huh?
March 25th, 2010  
Czin
 
 
I myself say that there will always be a need to blow something up without risking pilots. Such as a ground based ASM site guarded by SAMs which in turn are guarded by anti-missile/bomb systems. Rather than risk aircraft, one can simply send a really fast shell at it.
--
March 25th, 2010  
wolfen
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czin
I myself say that there will always be a need to blow something up without risking pilots. Such as a ground based ASM site guarded by SAMs which in turn are guarded by anti-missile/bomb systems. Rather than risk aircraft, one can simply send a really fast shell at it.
And THAT is what a Battleship does
March 26th, 2010  
Czin
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
And THAT is what a Battleship does
Yes, now let's make a railgun equipped battleship to launch the same sized projectiles at five times the velocity for twenty five or more times the destructive kinetic energy.
March 26th, 2010  
wolfen
 
no thanks, I'd rather stay with a 2000lb chunk of steel that leaves a hole you can sail a destroyer through, than start modifying ships
March 27th, 2010  
Czin
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
no thanks, I'd rather stay with a 2000lb chunk of steel that leaves a hole you can sail a destroyer through, than start modifying ships
What about a 2000lb chunk of metal that can instantly take out an aircraft carrier and strike with the force of a MOAB if not more?
March 27th, 2010  
wolfen
 
I'll have to pass on that one, I prefer weapons that can move on their own and not have to have the entire ship turn to aim them, make one that is independent like a 16" gun and I'll think about changing my vote
March 29th, 2010  
Czin
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
I'll have to pass on that one, I prefer weapons that can move on their own and not have to have the entire ship turn to aim them, make one that is independent like a 16" gun and I'll think about changing my vote
Why would it be any bigger than the current gun? By 2060 we could do this quite easily.
March 30th, 2010  
wolfen
 
By 2060we as a human race will probably be on our way out so it won't mater
 


Similar Topics
Will the battle tank become obsolete?
Venezuela Test Fires Russian Missiles From Sukhoi, Battleship
500,000ton Battleship
The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty Is Obsolete
IJN Yamato Mightest Battleship in History