Banning Soda and Junk food at Schools - Page 3




View Poll Results :should we ban soda and junkfood from schools?
yes 10 45.45%
no 9 40.91%
not sure 0 0%
who cares 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

 
--
Banning Soda and Junk food at Schools
 
May 29th, 2005  
Tvoi-Vrag
 
Banning Soda and Junk food at Schools
Another example of the government getting into peoples business. People are over weight because they don't have any will and allow themselves to become that way
May 29th, 2005  
LIBERTY
 
 
Noooooo!!! The only thing thats keeping me awake in 4th block is a Mountain Dew from lunch.
May 29th, 2005  
AlexKall
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
It has been siencificly proven that there is a gene defekt that can cause weight problems.
And it's also scientifically proven that when you diet, regardless of "genetic" excuses, you will lose weight.

No matter what, if you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.
When did I say losing weight was impossible?

The porblem is people with these genetic defects store fat more easaly then others, making it alot harder to lose weight, healy food in the should would help alot. Secondly its not just the weight you should be worried about, its also your heart.

And then theres diabetes. Which everyone seems to be disregarding.
--
Banning Soda and Junk food at Schools
May 29th, 2005  
hicks
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
When did I say losing weight was impossible?

The porblem is people with these genetic defects store fat more easaly then others, making it alot harder to lose weight, healy food in the should would help alot. Secondly its not just the weight you should be worried about, its also your heart.
You didn't. You said being overweight and using genetics wasn't an excuse.

Just because your genes cause you to store fat more easily, it is still just an excuse, because you can go out there and work even harder, and not be overweight.

I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too.
May 29th, 2005  
AlexKall
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
When did I say losing weight was impossible?

The porblem is people with these genetic defects store fat more easaly then others, making it alot harder to lose weight, healy food in the should would help alot. Secondly its not just the weight you should be worried about, its also your heart.
You didn't. You said being overweight and using genetics wasn't an excuse.

Just because your genes cause you to store fat more easily, it is still just an excuse, because you can go out there and work even harder, and not be overweight.

I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too.
Eh? Are you hooked on running? Everything you post in here referes to running?

What i ment was its harder for some people then others, health food in schools is something that should be present, yes people can exersise, and should but some people has to exercise more then others and it might not help as you might not be able to exercise as fast as your body store fat.

Secondly, it seems as if its ok for you to be really unhealthy aslong as you can run?

This "I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too."

makes no sense to me what so ever. Can you please explain what you mean by that?
May 29th, 2005  
hicks
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
Eh? Are you hooked on running? Everything you post in here referes to running?

What i ment was its harder for some people then others, health food in schools is something that should be present, yes people can exersise, and should but some people has to exercise more then others and it might not help as you might not be able to exercise as fast as your body store fat.

Secondly, it seems as if its ok for you to be really unhealthy aslong as you can run?
I'm not "hooked" on running, but being in the Infantry, my unit runs a lot, so I know the importance of a good cardiovascular workout. It's a great way to burn calories plus toning your lower body muscles. But you can't just run 2 miles a day to get a whole lot out of it. You have to stretch it out to about 20 miles or more a week to see the best results. Thus I refer to running as an important part of being in shape and losing weight.

Most people that can run and do it often aren't unhealthy. It's a rareity, and that's why a good diet is important as well. Which is why I have also mentioned eating healthy with running.

Considering that the average student eats 1 meal a day at school, banning all junk food and soda won't make much of an impact. It's what they eat the rest of the day that matters. I can afford to eat one meal of fast food each day and it would not seriously impact my health or weight because of my good balance of working out and eating healthy.

They didn't choose a 2,000 calorie a day diet just because it sounded good. It only takes an hour a day, 5 days a week of good working out to at least burn the same number of calories and thus maintaining your current weight.

Quote:
This "I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too."

makes no sense to me what so ever. Can you please explain what you mean by that?
You said diabetics were left out of the consideration in an earlier post.

I said, that is just an excuse because I diabetic can still run and eat healthy as long as they eat the right foods to counteract the effects of diabetis.
May 30th, 2005  
AlexKall
 
This is not about running, yes you can run, or alteast exercise, dont nesseserly need to run. And you should! No doubt about it. But my stance is that why do something thats not good for you, if you have an alternative, it is a part of a schools responsability, yes its on the parents mostly, but if a school serve only junk food such as hamburgers and fried food its hard for a parent to get their child to eat healthy. Its not as easy as eating junk food and then get rid of all the bad things by exercising, it should be done, no question about it! Exercise with healty food is what you should be doing to keep you're body in trim. To never eat bad unhealty food and exercise is better then keep getting your body full of unhealty food and then go out and run and hope it is all gone (which is a bad thing because then you will need to eat again ) doing that is to just puch of the problems temporarly instead of going to the source of the problem.

Its like going out in the sun, burn your self and then put on cream to hender it. You're not attacking the cause to the problem, your just undermining it till its too late and its put a mark on the body (this case, skin cancer). What you could have done is to attack the problem from the beggining and treat your body with care (any thing for this matter), in this case, put on cream to hender the effects of UV rays. By doing this you have attacked the root of the problem. Same thinking firefighers use. Technicians in workplaces, for example. Its no use to put your body through suffering by having a bad work place and then do jumnastics to hender it. You will get long time problems, its better to attack the cause, in this case the work place!

"You said diabetics were left out of the consideration in an earlier post.

I said, that is just an excuse because I diabetic can still run and eat healthy as long as they eat the right foods to counteract the effects of diabetis."

You just said what I was describing

You say that its an excuse, if your diabetic you can still run and eat healty, right? But the kids in the schools are not eating healty, they are eating junk food, which will just make the diabetes worse. You should eat the right food to counteract the diabetes (along with 5 shots a day if you have that type of diabestes) but as i said, this isnt done, the oposite is done in the schools today. Besides when I was a kid, there ware no greezy hameburgers, it was bread with fish in it, and no it wasn't boild in oil, it was steamed cooked. didn't taste wonderfull but it wasn't bad!

There ware no fries, there ware however boild potatoes. And the list goes on.
May 30th, 2005  
hicks
 
Yes, but as I stated, if you're are eating healthy during the other meals, 1 meal a day won't mean too much as long as youre excersicing, or at least doing a physical activity outside instead of sitting on the computer or playing playstation all day.
May 31st, 2005  
AlexKall
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks
Yes, but as I stated, if you're are eating healthy during the other meals, 1 meal a day won't mean too much as long as youre excersicing, or at least doing a physical activity outside instead of sitting on the computer or playing playstation all day.
One unhealy meal, fat food in perticular a day and sugar intake from candy is devistating for your body, exerciceing will help but it wont attack the cause of the problem. Your body will take damage!
May 31st, 2005  
Duty Honor Country
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
One unhealy meal, fat food in perticular a day and sugar intake from candy is devistating for your body, exerciceing will help but it wont attack the cause of the problem. Your body will take damage!
I totally agree. If one meal a day is healthy instead of fast food with soda, it is a step in the right direction. Then the parent factor comes into play.