Banning Soda and Junk food at Schools

should we ban soda and junkfood from schools?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure

• who cares

• Total voters
Another example of the government getting into peoples business. People are over weight because they don't have any will and allow themselves to become that way

hicks said:
AlexKall said:
It has been siencificly proven that there is a gene defekt that can cause weight problems.

And it's also scientifically proven that when you diet, regardless of "genetic" excuses, you will lose weight.

No matter what, if you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

When did I say losing weight was impossible?

The porblem is people with these genetic defects store fat more easaly then others, making it alot harder to lose weight, healy food in the should would help alot. Secondly its not just the weight you should be worried about, its also your heart.

And then theres diabetes. Which everyone seems to be disregarding.

AlexKall said:

The porblem is people with these genetic defects store fat more easaly then others, making it alot harder to lose weight, healy food in the should would help alot. Secondly its not just the weight you should be worried about, its also your heart.

You didn't. You said being overweight and using genetics wasn't an excuse.

Just because your genes cause you to store fat more easily, it is still just an excuse, because you can go out there and work even harder, and not be overweight.

I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too.

hicks said:
AlexKall said:

You didn't. You said being overweight and using genetics wasn't an excuse.

Just because your genes cause you to store fat more easily, it is still just an excuse, because you can go out there and work even harder, and not be overweight.

I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too.

Eh? Are you hooked on running? Everything you post in here referes to running?

What i ment was its harder for some people then others, health food in schools is something that should be present, yes people can exersise, and should but some people has to exercise more then others and it might not help as you might not be able to exercise as fast as your body store fat.

Secondly, it seems as if its ok for you to be really unhealthy aslong as you can run?

This "I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too."

makes no sense to me what so ever. Can you please explain what you mean by that?

AlexKall said:
Eh? Are you hooked on running? Everything you post in here referes to running?

What i ment was its harder for some people then others, health food in schools is something that should be present, yes people can exersise, and should but some people has to exercise more then others and it might not help as you might not be able to exercise as fast as your body store fat.

Secondly, it seems as if its ok for you to be really unhealthy aslong as you can run?

I'm not "hooked" on running, but being in the Infantry, my unit runs a lot, so I know the importance of a good cardiovascular workout. It's a great way to burn calories plus toning your lower body muscles. But you can't just run 2 miles a day to get a whole lot out of it. You have to stretch it out to about 20 miles or more a week to see the best results. Thus I refer to running as an important part of being in shape and losing weight.

Most people that can run and do it often aren't unhealthy. It's a rareity, and that's why a good diet is important as well. Which is why I have also mentioned eating healthy with running.

Considering that the average student eats 1 meal a day at school, banning all junk food and soda won't make much of an impact. It's what they eat the rest of the day that matters. I can afford to eat one meal of fast food each day and it would not seriously impact my health or weight because of my good balance of working out and eating healthy.

They didn't choose a 2,000 calorie a day diet just because it sounded good. It only takes an hour a day, 5 days a week of good working out to at least burn the same number of calories and thus maintaining your current weight.

This "I didn't think diabetes could keep you from running, so if you are a diabetic and capable of running and eating healthy, that's an excuse too."

makes no sense to me what so ever. Can you please explain what you mean by that?

You said diabetics were left out of the consideration in an earlier post.

I said, that is just an excuse because I diabetic can still run and eat healthy as long as they eat the right foods to counteract the effects of diabetis.

This is not about running, yes you can run, or alteast exercise, dont nesseserly need to run. And you should! No doubt about it. But my stance is that why do something thats not good for you, if you have an alternative, it is a part of a schools responsability, yes its on the parents mostly, but if a school serve only junk food such as hamburgers and fried food its hard for a parent to get their child to eat healthy. Its not as easy as eating junk food and then get rid of all the bad things by exercising, it should be done, no question about it! Exercise with healty food is what you should be doing to keep you're body in trim. To never eat bad unhealty food and exercise is better then keep getting your body full of unhealty food and then go out and run and hope it is all gone (which is a bad thing because then you will need to eat again ;)) doing that is to just puch of the problems temporarly instead of going to the source of the problem.

Its like going out in the sun, burn your self and then put on cream to hender it. You're not attacking the cause to the problem, your just undermining it till its too late and its put a mark on the body (this case, skin cancer). What you could have done is to attack the problem from the beggining and treat your body with care (any thing for this matter), in this case, put on cream to hender the effects of UV rays. By doing this you have attacked the root of the problem. Same thinking firefighers use. Technicians in workplaces, for example. Its no use to put your body through suffering by having a bad work place and then do jumnastics to hender it. You will get long time problems, its better to attack the cause, in this case the work place!

"You said diabetics were left out of the consideration in an earlier post.

I said, that is just an excuse because I diabetic can still run and eat healthy as long as they eat the right foods to counteract the effects of diabetis."

You just said what I was describing ;)

You say that its an excuse, if your diabetic you can still run and eat healty, right? But the kids in the schools are not eating healty, they are eating junk food, which will just make the diabetes worse. You should eat the right food to counteract the diabetes (along with 5 shots a day if you have that type of diabestes) but as i said, this isnt done, the oposite is done in the schools today. Besides when I was a kid, there ware no greezy hameburgers, it was bread with fish in it, and no it wasn't boild in oil, it was steamed cooked. didn't taste wonderfull but it wasn't bad!

There ware no fries, there ware however boild potatoes. And the list goes on.

Yes, but as I stated, if you're are eating healthy during the other meals, 1 meal a day won't mean too much as long as youre excersicing, or at least doing a physical activity outside instead of sitting on the computer or playing playstation all day. :)

hicks said:
Yes, but as I stated, if you're are eating healthy during the other meals, 1 meal a day won't mean too much as long as youre excersicing, or at least doing a physical activity outside instead of sitting on the computer or playing playstation all day. :)

One unhealy meal, fat food in perticular a day and sugar intake from candy is devistating for your body, exerciceing will help but it wont attack the cause of the problem. Your body will take damage!

AlexKall said:
One unhealy meal, fat food in perticular a day and sugar intake from candy is devistating for your body, exerciceing will help but it wont attack the cause of the problem. Your body will take damage!

I totally agree. If one meal a day is healthy instead of fast food with soda, it is a step in the right direction. Then the parent factor comes into play.

AlexKall said:

It's not devistating.

The body needs fats and sugars just like it needs calcium and other sorts. The problem is people go overboard with how much fat and sugar they take in.

It's actually better for you to eat fat in a day, than it is to go an entire dat without eating any fat. Same with sugars, though you can manage better without the sugar.

Wow there has been some good arguements here. Im almost thinking about changing my vote to banning them......not too sure though. I think ill need a little more convincing. But in the end I dont think it will end up happening. There are too many people who enjoy their junk food. If this ban ended up going through id be very suprised

hicks said:
AlexKall said:

It's not devistating.

The body needs fats and sugars just like it needs calcium and other sorts. The problem is people go overboard with how much fat and sugar they take in.

It's actually better for you to eat fat in a day, than it is to go an entire dat without eating any fat. Same with sugars, though you can manage better without the sugar.

Theres different types of fat, fat such as on meat and that you fry your food in has no benefits for your body what so ever. Oil on the other hand is good, such as olivoil and sunflower oil. :)

Same with sugar, theres different types of suger, suger such in pure sugar you put in you coffie, suger that is in soda and such is purley bad for you, it causes a suger "spike" in your body which produces alot of insulin which if its often done cn in connection to bad food cause diabetes. Fruit sugar and such types of sugar causes a more long time stable sugar intake which gives a more balansed release of insuline.

Just me and I'm well known in certain circles for not molly coddeling the younger generation's.

But in my opinion banning Pougie Bait in schools is another twist on the now standard in the US "Raise my kids for me society. Because I don't have the backbone or intestinal fortitude to do it."

Here's an idea Mom and Dad. Limit Juniors intake of Mickey D's. B.K., Soda, Twinkies, Ho-Ho's, candy, chips and all those bad bad foods that the schools are selling........ at home!!!!

Limit Juniors time in front of the TV, X-box, Play Station, and PC....and send his young butt outside for some fresh air, sunshine and excercise.

03USMC said:
Just me and I'm well known in certain circles for not molly coddeling the younger generation's.

But in my opinion banning Pougie Bait in schools is another twist on the now standard in the US "Raise my kids for me society. Because I don't have the backbone or intestinal fortitude to do it."

Here's an idea Mom and Dad. Limit Juniors intake of Mickey D's. B.K., Soda, Twinkies, Ho-Ho's, candy, chips and all those bad bad foods that the schools are selling........ at home!!!!

Limit Juniors time in front of the TV, X-box, Play Station, and PC....and send his young butt outside for some fresh air, sunshine and excercise.

So they should not eat unhealthy food in their home but its okey if they serve it in the schools? Don't see the logics in that.

AlexKall said:
03USMC said:

So they should not eat unhealthy food in their home but its okey if they serve it in the schools? Don't see the logics in that.

Nope thats not it all. I could care less if they have vending machines in schools. My point is that I would bet that the average kid consumes the majority of their junk food in the home rather than in school.

So IMO the learned members of society and the parents of these children are blaming the geedunk machines in schools and wanting the society to legislate personel responsiblity and overlooking the obivious problem in their own AO.

IMO it's all about setting restrictions and education. Don't expect society to fix what you've broken.

kids will do what they learn at home, if they are allowed to eat candy and :cen: then at school they will eat candy and shit...

Mod edti: watch the language

I think its stupid. If thoughs kids in Pe would just start running there fat asses a little bit that would help. I think Its also stupid because my teachers tell us to stay inside more because of skin cancer and then they tell us to go out side and run and be healthy. Its all one big Conspiracy. My aunt is trying to get that ban permeant in Texas.

03USMC said:
AlexKall said:
03USMC said:

Nope thats not it all. I could care less if they have vending machines in schools. My point is that I would bet that the average kid consumes the majority of their junk food in the home rather than in school.

So IMO the learned members of society and the parents of these children are blaming the geedunk machines in schools and wanting the society to legislate personel responsiblity and overlooking the obivious problem in their own AO.

IMO it's all about setting restrictions and education. Don't expect society to fix what you've broken.

Junk food in the school cafeteria doesn't matter? To just blame parents if junk food is the only type of food they can get. Sure it's alot on parents responsibility to teach their children to eat propper food, but whats the idea with that if they can only get junk food in schools. Should they go down town into a 4 star restuarant and get their food? Its pareants resposibility but alot of it lies on the schools. Schools are supposed to be a educational central, if they don't lern basics on food, what to eat and what to eat less of, and not being able to server propper food, its not a a good system.

And its not only over weight people where the problem lies, one with standard body weight can be as sick as a over weight person. Also a over weight person doesn't nessesairly need to have a problem at all. So telling over weight people to go up and exercise dosn't fix the problem, it will help those over weight people but not the rest.

AlexKall,

American schools don't only have junk food machines to feed the kids. Those machines are there in addition to the school lunch program. They can eat healthy if they want to.

I agree with 03USMC. He's got this one nailed. You can't legislate your kids to behave well, to act in their best interest, or to achieve anything. Those all must be taught at home.

Back