The B-52

--

March 10th, 2005  
The Other Guy

Topic: The B-52

what will replace the long running B-52 Stratofortress and when?
March 10th, 2005  
Kilgore

Hopefully the B-1 or B-2 bombers, but they are too expensive. The B-52, though a slow plane still serves its job well. Im not sure whats happening to the B-52's now, but it would be sad to see them go. In my opinion they will still be sufficient for the modern and near future battle.
March 10th, 2005  
Whispering Death

B-1 and B-2s are not meant to replace the B-52

Under current air force projections they plan to keep the B-52 in service until 2032.
--
March 10th, 2005  
CDTGaticaW201

Damn.....2032?? The B-52's been around a loong time as it is. I'm surprised they've made it this far...they still do delivery quite a punch though.
March 10th, 2005  
rocco

yes but they arnt the b-52's of old... they have been constantly upgraded... engines, electronics, weapons, cockpit etc etc...
March 10th, 2005  
The Other Guy

I have heard that every piece of equipment on the B-52 has been changed over the years.
March 10th, 2005  
chewie_nz

i always liked the hustler....now THAT was a sexy lookin aircraft
March 10th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
i always liked the hustler....now THAT was a sexy lookin aircraft
So was the Valkyrie XB-70 but that was cancelled. The B-52 is still a superb carpet bombing platform that does exactly what's asked of it.
March 10th, 2005  
A Can of Man

This is the evidence of an extremely successful design.
Quite frankly I see nothing in the world that can replace this thing. Who knows... they might be around for so long that they may actually end up being UAVs. lol
March 10th, 2005  
EOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
I have heard that every piece of equipment on the B-52 has been changed over the years.
Not only equipment but it's whole structure is replaced piece by piece over the years.
A 20 years old aircraft has no part on it that it left the factory with.
All this is due to aging / stressed material. Even unused spare parts in stock have an expiration date (like food). After expiration these parts have to be certified new or they go to the scrap yard.