Australian Officer Selection - Army

kyles_jollies

G'day all,

Currently I'm a year 12 student in Canberra waiting for my OSB in Sept. Last November (2004) I applied for general entry infantry only to be knocked back by the WO-1. He said,"We're keen for officers wait till you get your yr 12 and go to Duntroon", or words to that effect. He believed that I have a good chance at getting in however I am not so optimistic. Although I have a rough idea of what to expect on my OSB, I am still worried. My grades aren't exactly crash hot. My UAI estimate is 58 – 68 (for ADFA you need at least 70) and I don't think I'm exceptional at critical thinking (the "deep and meaningful" of literature). I am told by some ADFA cadets that they really rip you to bits and it was the hardest pre-military activity they have ever done. Is there anyone out there who is an Aussie Officer or Staff Cadet and what was your experience? (Don’t tell me too much, I think that would be a disservice)

Kyle

Do you know why you got knocked back for Infantry? Was it for medical or fitness the reason why I ask is that if they knock you back for general entry Infantry then getting in as an officer could be hard but not impossible.

I'm a staff cadet. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. By the way, you only need "really good'' grades if you go to ADFA. It doesn't mean as much at RMC.

Lips,

Why they knocked me back is a good question. I think it had something to do with the fact that I have not finished yr 12 or maybe they ARE keen for officers? 'Cause I was class 1 on my medical. Anyway, the WO-1 said something along the lines of, "It seems to me that you don't have the patients for study, your still in yr 11, forget ADFA, but RMC is looking good for you mate." And I'm thinking all I wanted to do was join the regular ranks! Oh well, here I am waiting for my OSB. If I fail this looks like it back to option A, the regular ranks 'cause I've already passed the assessment for such a job.

Kyle

Yeah mate, i reckon it was due to fitness.

My BMI was too high, and they said come back in November. Well, now i'm the right wait, just getting alot fitter. I was going for Reserve Rifleman.

However for RMC Officer, coming straight from year 12 will make you have low chances of being accepted as an officer candidate. If you have high grades, then you have a chance through ADFA for sure.

However for RMC Officer, coming straight from year 12 will make you have low chances of being accepted as an officer candidate.

This is true. Joining straight out of yr 12 as an officer is usually hard to do anyway, as they'll probably say you need more life experience.

AussieNick,

I agree with you 100%. It worries me, "life experience". Like I said I have already passed the assessment for general entry rifleman and that was (originally) option one. Oh well, all I can do is hope. No Army next year, then its security for me (Old Parliment House) :lol: . ‘Cause I already hold Cert II’s in security operations, retail operations and I'm on the way for one in IT. Cheers.

Kyle

officer

i am an american but. Armies want certain things for officers and having a brain like Einstien isn't one of them. They want intellegence, common sense, and natural leadership. If you are all of these, go for it.

IMO it makes sense for them to recommend RMC. If you have or a close to obtaining a year 12 the Army doesn't want to waste you on a year 9 job such as infantry. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to grunts or anything but can anyone see my point? To my understanding the Army has no problem filling general entry combat roles, but is desperate for tradies etc... that require a higher entry level education.

Back