Australian Gun Laws

I was just wondering about the gun laws in Australia [Mainly focusing on the states/territories of Victoria, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory]

When our house got broken into and the police was over, my mums boyfriend asked the officer there if it was legal to have a personal firearm [Like a pistol], and the cop said it was illegal [In the A.C.T]

So Im just wondering about the gun laws [These are the times that im jealous of Americans because of the 2nd ammendment] and if its legal to go to shooting ranges and stuff in the East coast of Australia.

Thanks in advanced!

In short the gun laws suck.

In long, you can shoot at a range without a license but nowhere else. In order to get a license you have to take lessons and a few tests and have a safe. My dad who lives out in the country (and therefore has a greater need than city-siders) tried to take the lessons, which are provided by the police, and they were rescheduled, canceled or just didnt happen 4 times in a row - and each time requires a 3? week booking. And thats just to get the license.

Back