Australia to become Maritime Power - Rudd - Page 3

--

August 24th, 2009  
A Can of Man

UAVs are a smart investment anyhow.
December 28th, 2009  
splat

Submarines built at the rate of 1 per year so we end up with 28.
Reason 28 is that is the time we will be keeping each collins boat and i presume son of collins.
December 28th, 2009  
wolfen

Get your air power up and running with F-18 Rhinos, they can be use by the RAAF, and the RAN, and be configured to do just about anything. The F-18 E/F is basically a F-14 with a different body on it
Also keep up with the subs, and deploy the WW2 German Wolf Pack tactics.
Frigates and Tin cans are also a good idea.
However I'd stay clear of Battleships, and carriers unless you want to do the whole world police thing
--
December 28th, 2009  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
The F-18 E/F is basically a F-14 with a different body on it
Say what? I guess a Trans-Am is a Mustang with a different body on it.
December 29th, 2009  
bren122

It is interesting that the White Paper avoids the subject of robotics- other than the seven UAVs for border surveillance. According to some reports I have read (Fast Thinking Magazine, Peter Singer Interview in Australian) the US is operating up to 7000 drones and 12000 ground robots (these seem a bit high to me but I haven't found anything to say otherwise). Be interesting to see where we end up.

I also see that the review of funding requirements for the White Paper is already set to come up short. Around 4% of GDP required funding versus around 3% of GDP projected funding.
December 29th, 2009  
splat

I think ADF funding is at 2 or 2.2% of GDP.

About the rhinos...yeah i rekon we should bring the total up to at least 50 and buy 50 eurofighters.
Cancel F35 because by the time a single squadron is in service counter stealth technologies will make F35 LO null and void.
Also there is no way the us will buy all the F35's she wants because she simply cant afford it,so the unit price of each F35 will undoubtably go north.
December 30th, 2009  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Say what? I guess a Trans-Am is a Mustang with a different body on it.

Nope a trans am is a trans am a Ford can't even come close.
But according to the pilots who fly over my house every day in the 2 seat Superhornet, it has all the same capabilities of a F-14-B or C, with the exception of the GE101 engines. Only difference is it will out turn a Tomcat, and fly slower without doping out of the sky.
January 1st, 2010  
splat

What are you americans thoughts on aquiring some conventional subs for the USN?
January 1st, 2010  
wolfen

No thanks, we use Nuclear subs now.
January 1st, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
Nope a trans am is a trans am a Ford can't even come close.
But according to the pilots who fly over my house every day in the 2 seat Superhornet, it has all the same capabilities of a F-14-B or C, with the exception of the GE101 engines. Only difference is it will out turn a Tomcat, and fly slower without doping out of the sky.
F-18 isn't rebodied variable geometry. '70 Boss 302 vs...Did the T/A ever actually race in Trans-AM? well...hmmm OK Boss 429 vs whatever Pontiac had in a '70 T/A.