ASVAB Change?

Soso

Hey everyone. So im looking into joining the marine corps. If talked to a recruiter about 4 times now and we set up a time to take the asvab. So i took the asvab and scored a 45. I was super happy because i was well over the score of passing it to become a marine(a 31). Then just two days ago, my recruiter called me and said that now, every highschool graduaite must get a 50 or better to enlist in the marines witch really scares me. I only got a 45, and he wants me to take the test again in a month so i can get a 50+. I will be greatly dissapointed if i do not get a 50 or better and cannot enlist. When did the marines change the minimal score of a 50 on the asvab to enlist? Is it also true that other branches of the service also raised the asvab score? cuz i was thinking, if i dont get a 50, maybe i can join the airforce. let me know guys, thanks.

Damn that sucks... I guess you just need to study a lot. I was never worried about the ASVAB until now I guess lol. I've taken practice ones. I remember it used to be 32 to enlist. But sorry I don't know whether other services changed it...

Study and take the practice ASVAB, again and again. Bare minimum is also going to effect your MOS options.

I've been taking practice tests on Military.com (my best portion is GT) but it doesn't tell you what the score is =( I'm sure I did okay. Got any study tips?

Last edited:
GT is one of the most important scores on the ASVAB, although the others work into your composite or overall score. Find your weakest area, and work on that area to raise the score. Repeat. You will do fine.

I knew a guy who got waivered in at 17. I am glad those waivers are going away, and bars are being raised.

I gotta 82; make sure you sleep well before the test and have food in you.
The marines are at over capacity right now, and they met their 2010 recruiting goal last year (200,000 new recruits), so the standards are really skyrocketing.

You can also request a practice AFQT test at the recruitment office to get an idea of how much you improved after you practiced.
And BTW, the airforce requires the highest ASVAB score out of all four branches (Except the cost guard). You should be fine on your second attempt if you study well, I've known a few people who have retaken it and have at least gotten a few points higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back